All-grain v full volume (Deathbrewer style)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I was curious, why not add my 7.5 gallons of water into my kettle... mash for 60-90 minutes at 150degrees in a bag (deathbrewer partial mash style) and then pull them out and continue?

I'll assume there is a reason but I want to understand why?

Its suggested to mash for an hour with so much water per lb of grain, then sparge (in my case batch sparge) till you get the required volume. However is'nt that the same thing as the full volume to start with?

I'll guess that the original mash water is almost completely saturated with extract and that the fresh sparge is to give the remaining sugars a place to go?

Thanks
jake

It's doable. You just have to adjust your grain bill for no-sparge and keep your temperature up. If you try it, I'd be interested to hear about anything else you run into.

This method is know as "brew in a bag". Search for BIAB and you'll find lots of info here in the forums.

As freddy says, that's the original Australian BiaB method. You hit the mash out on the way up to the boil, yanking the big out at the right time. The main reason not to do it this way is your kettle might not be big enough.

Its suggested to mash for an hour with so much water per lb of grain, then sparge (in my case batch sparge) till you get the required volume. However is'nt that the same thing as the full volume to start with?

IMO, sparging w/ fresh clean water will improve efficiency and do a more thorough rinse of the grain, as opposed to a BIAB or "no sparge" technique.

IMO, sparging w/ fresh clean water will improve efficiency and do a more thorough rinse of the grain, as opposed to a BIAB or "no sparge" technique.

Tried them both or just guessing? Brew house efficiency >75% is certainly doable with BiaB.

I've been pondering this and in another thread they mentioned that I might not have enough room for 7.5 gallons of water plus 12lbs of grain.

This is true. I don't think my 8 gallon kettle can handle that amt of grain with that amount of water.

I'm considering using a screen in my kettle and mashing in that and collecting the wort in plastic pales as another guy in another thread did. The clean the kettle and re-add the wort.

thanks for throwing ideas my way on it... I'd need a larger kettle to do it if I did try it.

Back