Newbie all-grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatuna

Reaction score
I tried my hand at all-grain over the weekend which was overall an excellent experience.
I did have one hiccup that I would love some feedback on.

I use a 48 quart cooler with ss toilet braid as my mlt. almost immediately while collecting the runnings of my batch sparge, it got stuck. I wasn't sure what to do so I stuck my plastic spoon in the cooler to mix it up, and ended up tearing the toilet braid - which unclogged the outflow, but made for an extremely difficult experience trying to filter.

I think I got the job done, but had a lot of grain in my boil.

Are there any problems with boiling some grain? I would imagine that it was
about 0.5lbs of grain overall.

I read another post recommending inserting a ss spring into the toilet braid to help with filtering, so I think I will try to do that on my next attempt. Thanks all!

A stuck sparge is teh suk.
You may get some astrigency or tannins from the grain, half a lb is kindof alot of grain to boil for an hour. I wouldn't worry about it though, if your results are anything like mine it'll still be better than any extract batch you've brewed before this and now you know it'll only get better once you get that sparge problem fixed!

Is it just me or does it sound disgusting that you call it a "ss toilet braid"? Personally I don't want to think about toilet parts being inside my mash :D

When I started doing AG, I just drained the MLT directly from the valve into a 2 quart container for vorlauf. Occasionally the mash would get stuck then.
I now connect a 2' clear plastic tube to the valve and drain through that. The extra 2' of head does wonders for keeping up the flow. It also gives you an easy way to blow air in from the bottom to unstick a mash. Please don't blow in the tube if your mouth is below the level of the mash in the MLT. Nasty way to get a burn.

I tried my hand at all-grain over the weekend which was overall an excellent experience.
I did have one hiccup that I would love some feedback on.

I use a 48 quart cooler with ss toilet braid as my mlt. almost immediately while collecting the runnings of my batch sparge, it got stuck. I wasn't sure what to do so I stuck my plastic spoon in the cooler to mix it up, and ended up tearing the toilet braid - which unclogged the outflow, but made for an extremely difficult experience trying to filter.

I think I got the job done, but had a lot of grain in my boil.

Are there any problems with boiling some grain? I would imagine that it was
about 0.5lbs of grain overall.

I read another post recommending inserting a ss spring into the toilet braid to help with filtering, so I think I will try to do that on my next attempt. Thanks all!

This is exactly why I switched to a false bottom. I highly recommend a false bottom, it's really easy and much tougher to break.

This is exactly why I switched to a false bottom. I highly recommend a false bottom, it's really easy and much tougher to break.

Totally agree, much larger cost to start with - but it's really no fuss. Only time I ever had trouble was when I had a huge grainbill and the hose between the false bottom and the output coupling was crushed by the weight of the grain. I upgraded to a copper tube and all has been merry since :ban:

Do one of you guys have a picture of a cheap / easy false bottom?

the ones that I have seen look to be a PITA to make...

It's entirely possible that your braid wasn't SS. There are plastic ones out there that look just the same. My SS _toilet_ hose braid has lasted me 11 years and 345 batches. And you guys who have problems with the name...get over yo' bad selves! :)_

Mine does great, but is called a "Braided water line hook up hose" so is not from the potty. Ewwww.

I too just did my first (2) AG brews this past weekend with great success and efficiency. I have the same set up as you but I constructed a makeshift fly sparge with CPVC and a funnel and just ladled in 2 qts. of sparge water every 5 min or so.

From everything I have read....try to slow down your runoff. Like I said during sparge I ladle 2-3 qts every 5 min....Your runoff should be right around the same.

I stuck my plastic spoon in the cooler to mix it up, and ended up tearing the toilet braid

Something is wrong here? I can't understand how one could possibly tear a stainless braid w/ a spoon???

A braid, a real stainless steel metal braid will work well and is just about indestructable.
I can't understand this??

Something is wrong here? I can't understand how one could possibly tear a stainless braid w/ a spoon???

A braid, a real stainless steel metal braid will work well and is just about indestructable.

Good point, for some reason when I read that I just assumed he meant he pulled the ss braid out of the bulkhead so that he was just pulling raw mash through the valve instead of it being strained through the SS braid.

The ss braid was ripped (or possibly unravelling) right where I had it clamped to the outflow valve, about a 1/2" gap allowing the grain to flow through.
It was the regular ss braid, purchased at home depot for around $6.00, not a plastic one.

I was using a plastic spoon to tap the outflow which seemed to be working but I was getting a ton of grain flowing through. I was finally able to get the grain out of the way and noticed the big tear. Perhaps the tear was actually the braid unravelling? Not sure, but there was a big gap where grain was flowing through. Unfortunately I threw away the braid so I can't go take another look.
This doesn't sound like it is very common so I will give it another shot.

I did the same thing with my tough plastic mash paddle, if you only have the braided stainless it'll collapse like a finger trap

I used the ol' cut "wedged" hi temp tube inside my poop tube to stop stuck sparges. Also, what size diameter poop tube are you using? if you use anything over 1/2" diameter, then tend to collapse on themselves. Toilet tanks ss, poop tube, same difference!!!

The ss braid was ripped (or possibly unravelling) right where I had it clamped to the outflow valve, about a 1/2" gap allowing the grain to flow through.
It was the regular ss braid, purchased at home depot for around $6.00, not a plastic one.

I was using a plastic spoon to tap the outflow which seemed to be working but I was getting a ton of grain flowing through. I was finally able to get the grain out of the way and noticed the big tear. Perhaps the tear was actually the braid unravelling? Not sure, but there was a big gap where grain was flowing through. Unfortunately I threw away the braid so I can't go take another look.
This doesn't sound like it is very common so I will give it another shot.

That's the problem, Home Depot does not sell SS braided hose, it's a synthetic. If you look carefully, you'll see the description on the packaging. Lowe's does carry SS braid, I'd try there. Good luck. :mug:

+1 make sure it really is SS.

Also, try using a longer hose. I got the 5' washer supply line and put some bends in it. Once in a while it gets compressed, but it's never stuck and I can reshape after the mash is done.

Here is my setup after taking most of the grains out.

IMG_0291.jpg

Just to clarify, the majority of the braids at "my" Homedepot are the inferior (polymer synthetic) that looks like stainless. Home Depot also caries a more expensive "flood proof" supply line that is stainless. HD alo has washing machine supply lines that are stainless, and also if you are a bigger is better type, theyhave the large heavy duty water heater braided stainless supply lines for about 10 bucks. Read the package carefully...real stainless braid will be very fine wires. The synthetic look alikes are a much coarser weave.
Also, try using a longer hose. I got the 5' washer supply line...

Sorry in advance TeufelBrew, My opinion is that a longer braid just gives you more potential to get all tangled up...I feel an 8 - 10 inch braid is all you need, the runnings take the path of least resistance and enter the braid within the first few inches of the cooler wall anyhow. But if you are having success...great!

Sorry in advance TeufelBrew, My opinion is that a longer braid just gives you more potential to get all tangled up...I feel an 8 - 10 inch braid is all you need, the runnings take the path of least resistance and enter the braid within the first few inches of the cooler wall anyhow. But if you are having success...great!

I agree completely! Through the years, I've experimented with braids from 5 ft. to 3 in. long. The longer ones added no benefits and were a PITA to use. The 3in. braid worked as well as the2 footer I now use. The only reason I have a 2 ft. braid is that was the last one I tested and didn't want to go to the hassle of removing it!

It's easy...cut off the fittings on either end of the braid (I use a hatchet). Push the 2 ends of the braid in towards the middle, like the old Chinese finger trap puzzle. That will cause the braid to expand and you can remove the inner tube.

Back