Roselare Blend Pitching Rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schemy

Reaction score
My club is trying to figure out the proper amount of Roselare blend to pitch for an Oud Bruin project we are needing. I know you shouldn't do a starter on Roselare, and this will be pitched into the barrel after primary fermentation (before filling barrel).

Anybody got an idea how much we will need for 60 gallons?

Howdy Schemy,

My club did a barrel project that we aged for 15 months in the barrel and it was soured with Roselare. What I did was took a 2nd generation yeast cake from one of my 5 gallon batch's and used that. Most of the people in the club did primary ferementation clean with an Abbey Ale, and a few of us fermented in Primary with Roseleare or other Bacteria blends. When it came time to transfering into the barrel we put the beer in the barrel (after sampling them all) and then dumped in the yeast cakes from the 2-3 mixed fermentation batch's as well as the large yeast cake I had from my Flanders. That's my recommendation. Think of each batch that is fermented with Brett/bacteria as a starter. Re-pitching bugs 2nd and 3rd generation will produce better product then simply pitching 1st generation roselare (in my experience). 2nd and 3rd generations will be more aggressive for souring your beer. This is critical when most of your beer is primary fermented clean.

We just bottled our beer after 15 months in the barrel, and it is absolutely amazing.

Reach out to me if you have any more questions as we successfully created a barrel aged sour that is as good as anything on the market! We did a RR-Temptation clone and it's spot on!

Cheers,
Nick
Maybe these links will help..
http://dankbrewingcompany.blogspot.com/2012/04/russian-river-temptation-clone-belgian.html

and
http://dankbrewingcompany.blogspot.com/2012/03/sour-beer-project-honey-wine-barrel.html

give a call with questions

Gracias Dank. I like the idea of using that for primary. In your experience did it take much longer to reach final gravity with the Roselare as primary?

Yeah, roseleare is slow to start but it helps to keep at 70-75 degree for th first few days. The. You can bring it down to normal room temp for the long duration of aging for 12+ months.

***i had really pour results in a 5 gallon batch that was fermented clean and then roseleare in secondary. 18 months and it still was not very sour.

For your barrel project, do you have a couple brewers that will ferment primary with funk? If so you are good. Your results using those yeast/bacteria cakes will be better then if you just make a couple small starters, and certainly better then if you pitch packs of roseleare directly into the barrel (after primary).

The best case scenario would be if ALL brewers in the barrel project used a sour blend for primary. Wyeast, white labs, and East Coast Yeast.

Our first barrel turned out amazing after 15 months with 3/4 of it fermented clean in primary though!

I'm going to do a primary with Roselare. And I believe a couple other guys will as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Back