Sun Requirements: Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscade

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be planting my first rhizomes next year. Right now, I'm planning and will soon be building raised beds to prepare.

My prime spot, on the side of my garage, gets direct sun for 1/3 of the day. The morning is blocked by the garage itself, and then the evening is filtered through trees. Is this sufficient?

I could build a freestanding structure out in the yard to push the exposure up to 1/2 the day at most, but that's much less convenient and I'll only do so if the plants demand it.

Any input from seasoned growers is greatly appreciated!

I hear ya, I've got several growing areas, and the harvests are different with each. North/South fenceline with some tree shade on the South harvests first, with the shaded Cascades a little later than the Centennial and Chinook. Around my North-facing house, hops on South (EKG), West (Sorachi Ace) and East (Centennial) walls harvest in that order. South fenceline, quite shaded by a massive maple, harvests latest, Fuggles, Saaz, EKG and others.
Hops love alot of sun, but better to be shaded than to burn them in a summer like we've had.
Each variety harvests different times (thankfully!), and of course each area's conditions contribute a little bit, but I think the main thing to think about is your potential yields, as the day-length/sun angle are the main factors for when the plants will start producing cones.
Earth-Tainer or other container gardening can help you figure the best place, as they're portable...I had tried the W side of my garage and N side of house that way and found they were poor places, so I moved them and am now getting good results in the new (now in-the-ground) homes.

Good info. My garage location would be a West facing wall. My main concern is that the bines won't train properly on their own since they will only be able to "see" the sun for 1/2 the day. It seems like following the sun is a fairly important aspect of their growth pattern.

I may have to consider other locations closer to the house.

LeSinge said:
I hear ya, I've got several growing areas, and the harvests are different with each. North/South fenceline with some tree shade on the South harvests first, with the shaded Cascades a little later than the Centennial and Chinook. Around my North-facing house, hops on South (EKG), West (Sorachi Ace) and East (Centennial) walls harvest in that order. South fenceline, quite shaded by a massive maple, harvests latest, Fuggles, Saaz, EKG and others.
Hops love alot of sun, but better to be shaded than to burn them in a summer like we've had.
Each variety harvests different times (thankfully!), and of course each area's conditions contribute a little bit, but I think the main thing to think about is your potential yields, as the day-length/sun angle are the main factors for when the plants will start producing cones.
Earth-Tainer or other container gardening can help you figure the best place, as they're portable...I had tried the W side of my garage and N side of house that way and found they were poor places, so I moved them and am now getting good results in the new (now in-the-ground) homes.

Where did you get Sorachi Ace?

The bines will train up twine in the dark, so I wouldn't worry about that. If it were me, I'd plant then in the spot you have in mind, since it's convenient and you've given it some thought already. Look to see where the angle of the sun is right now, since this is the time that your bines will be ripening cones (maybe harvesting) in the years to come. If the spot doesn't pan out in the first couple years, by then you'll have some crowns to divide and use your new knowledge to grow in a better spot, and use the beds you built for veggies...I grow on the east, west, and south side of my property and there is definitely a relationship between the amount of sun exposure and yield.

I am curious, too, LeSinge, on where you got Sorachi Ace rhizomes. Any chance you'd want to send a few out in the spring?

How did you go about this? Was there a contract? How much did it cost you?

Also, how did you state your intent? Is this specifically for research only? Is there restriction to what may be done with the produce? What type of cutting did they send you?

odinsgift

They send cuttings, tho on the BN thread some report rhizomes, with instructions how to grow them.
https://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFil...t Distribution Frequently Asked Questions.mht

Research reqirements requested are available on the website...takes some searching, and I don't remember where it was.
But it was something like 3-5 years for research, send them your results and notes.
Research could include 'would like to test endurance to cold weather winters and the resulting affect on yields and quality' (kinda what I used for Japanese and Chinese hops requested: Sorachi Ace, Shinsuwashi, Kirin II, Kitamidori).
Or 'study effects of hemisphere change and cold weather winters on resulting yields and quality' (which is what I'm using to request New Zealand and Australian hops next year: Pride Of Ringwood, Pacific Gem, Smoothcone, AlphAroma).
Don't expect 100% success with your cuttings, as I received only one of each, and managed to kill half of them, but hey .500 is AWESOME in baseball!

odinsgift

They send cuttings, tho on the BN thread some report rhizomes, with instructions how to grow them.
https://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFil...t Distribution Frequently Asked Questions.mht

Research reqirements requested are available on the website...takes some searching, and I don't remember where it was.
But it was something like 3-5 years for research, send them your results and notes.
Research could include 'would like to test endurance to cold weather winters and the resulting affect on yields and quality' (kinda what I used for Japanese and Chinese hops requested: Sorachi Ace, Shinsuwashi, Kirin II, Kitamidori).
Or 'study effects of hemisphere change and cold weather winters on resulting yields and quality' (which is what I'm using to request New Zealand and Australian hops next year: Pride Of Ringwood, Pacific Gem, Smoothcone, AlphAroma).
Don't expect 100% success with your cuttings, as I received only one of each, and managed to kill half of them, but hey .500 is AWESOME in baseball!

I got some cascades last year from this program. Two cuttings. I was able to succesfully root them both but one was killed during extreme heat. The one that survived has what looks like to be over a lb of hops on it :) :ban:

I'll be planting my first rhizomes next year. Right now, I'm planning and will soon be building raised beds to prepare.

My prime spot, on the side of my garage, gets direct sun for 1/3 of the day. The morning is blocked by the garage itself, and then the evening is filtered through trees. Is this sufficient?

I could build a freestanding structure out in the yard to push the exposure up to 1/2 the day at most, but that's much less convenient and I'll only do so if the plants demand it.

Any input from seasoned growers is greatly appreciated!

I'm in Brunswick....if you wanna check out my hop plants and where they are....let me know.

Back