Repitching yeast. Which to brew first.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayHenry

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing an Irish red ale that will be the darker of the two and a wheat that will be the hoppier of the two. Which do you think is the more important guideline to follow when repitching yeast: lighter (in color) beer first or less hoppy beer first? They are almost the same OG, so I don't think that will be a major factor.

I would think "compatible styles" would be first. Are you really going to use the same yeast to do a Red and a Wheat?

Cheers!

They both use WLP007 dry English ale. The wheat is a clone from a local brewery and they use that yeast even for their wheat.

They both use WLP007 dry English ale. The wheat is a clone from a local brewery and they use that yeast even for their wheat.

Wow. I wouldn't have figured doing wheaties with such a highly flocculant and attenuative strain, but wtfdik ;)

Probably doesn't matter which brew you do first...

Cheers!

Would you recommend using about a quarter of the washed yeast cake? Or would that still be way to much?

i would do less hoppy first. the antibacterial properties of hops do have some impact on yeast as well. my understanding is you get some coating of the cells that makes reproduction a bit more difficult. that said, with the beers you're talking about, you're probably not going to have a problem either way.

Latest posts

Back