Just tasted my Pliny the Bastid attempt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbus

Reaction score
...and I was a bit disappointed. The smell/aroma is phenomenal but I'm wondering where I missed on this one. At first my thoughts were that it was overly bitter, but then I realized that there are some super bitter IPAs out there (Ruination for example) that I love, so I think a better descriptor would be "harsh." Also, the mouthfeel is a bit watery and it just doesn't seem like there is any noticeable malt/complexity to hold it up. I think my OG came out low around 1.063 but thats just a guess, as I have recently discovered that my refractometer wasn't calibrated and I originally thought it was 1.071.

I admit that I had high expectations for this one since I have had actual fresh Pliny, but I'm just wondering if there's any way to improve upon the harsh/bitter quality and lack of body that I'm perceiving. I've heard that Russian River uses a hop extract so maybe thats the magic to it?

I'm not majorly bummed and the beer is still completely drinkable, but I just wish that the taste would have lived up to the aroma! Anyways, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or can shed any light on mine. Thanks.

pliny has a fairly bitter aftertaste

I would have to disagree...I think Pliny is way smoother and well balanced for its IBU's than any IPA I have had. Not nearly as bitter as a Green Flash West Coast IPA, Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA, and many other examples.

I guess thats what I am getting at though...with this hop schedule, is the harsh bitterness inevitable or did it show through in my batch because I didn't hit my gravity and there isnt enough malt character to balance it?

12/26/2010: Brewed -->Primary, Secondary/Dry Hopped --> 1/25/2011: Bottled/Kegged

biermuncher, when do you consider a beer finished?

Certainly not the day after you bottle it.

Some of the most important...though subtle changes take place after the beer has been packaged. Hops mellow. Malt flavors from your different ingredients blend. Yeast settles out. The beer becomes fully carbonated and this lends a richer mouthfeel to the beer.

My Tits Up was inspired by Pliny and I'll tap the beer once it's had a good 3-4 weeks in the keg. That is after it's had three weeks in a primary, 10 days in a secondary on dry hops...and another 4-5 days in the keg at room temp on gelatin.

Just tapped the keg for another taste and its tasting awesome! Harshness has disappeared and this is one carbed up hop monster....

But here's my question...as least with commercial beers, I've always subscribed to the school that an IPA is at its best as fresh as possible. Have you ever read the label on a Pliny? "Consume Pliny fresh or not at all! Does not improve with age!"

So how does that translate to homebrewing? Do the pros allow for that conditioning period before bottling and distributing or is the homebrewing process just less refined and ultimately requires additional time for beers to clean up and reach their full potential?

The homebrew process is just less refined. I think a lot of it has to do with pitching rates. Brewers pitch BIG, MONSTER amounts of yeast and generally have shorter fermentation time and then they can crash cool it and force carb it and have it ready to drink within your hands in as little as 10 days. Well, 10 might be pushing it but I would say definitely within 2 weeks. The breweries control every aspect of the process. Homebrewing can be like this but it is impractical especially on a tight budget. However, I strive to eventually get there and be able to make some damn good repetitive beers.

Also homebrewing is easy when thinking about it in a simple way: Sugar + Yeast = CO2 + Alcohol. You can take that equation and make it as complex as possible.

Back