Looking for an IMMORT ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like you might have to DIY a clone:

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Occasional_Rarities/Immort_Ale/16/index.htm

Vast in character, luscious & complex. Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. It's aged on oak and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts.

11% abv

40 ibu

I don't recall the exact flavor profile so I don't know what direction to point you in for recipe proportions, exact yeast selections or hop varieties.

i think i have a copy of an extract, PM, and All grain recipe for this beer. it was definately in a book i checked out from the library and i am almost sure i copied that page. Send me an email at [email protected] and i will send it to you tonite when i get home.

An 11% extract beer sounds like it could be difficult to stir. Or ferment. You'll probably want to make sure to build a good solid starter for your yeast.

Wowza. Never heard of this beer before, I wish DFH distributed here.

Immort ale is pretty decent, as long as you can manage to BLOCK the mental association with bandaids :p But, as that can be a little tricky, it's definitely not high on my list...

WTF. Forrest has a kit for everything, doesn't he? Huh. :)

No kidding. I noticed they recently updated all their kits and there selection is awesome. The Immort ale was one of the new ones i saw listed on there.

DFH IMMORTALE

OG=1105 FG=1019 IBU=60

Partial Mash/Steeping

7 lb. pale malt
3 lb. biscuit malt
1 lb. medium (50L) crystal malt
8 oz. malted wheat
4 oz. roasted barley
4 oz. peat-smoked malt

Heat 3 3/4 gallons water to 164F
Steep at 152F for 90 min
Sparge with 4 1/2 gallons water at 168F

Add 4 lb. amber DME to runnings

Bring to Boil

10 AAUs Northern Brewer hops (90 min)
6 AAUs Centennial hops (30 min)

Cool, then top up to 5 1/4 gallons with chilled, preboiled water

Scottish ale yeast (Wyeast 1728 or equivalent)

Ferment @ 68F for 4 weeks and then transfer to secondary fermenter and condition cool (50-55F) for 6-8 weeks.

Prime with 1 cup maple syrup.

Just cuddled up in bed with a tulip of this as a nightcap... soooo goooood. I'd love to be able to recreate it at home.

I know this is over a year ago, but how did this turn out? I'm looking to maybe try my hand at cloning this thing. I have absolutely no idea how much peat is too much. To me, the beer isn't too heavy on the peat...

DFH IMMORTALE

OG=1105 FG=1019 IBU=60

Partial Mash/Steeping

7 lb. pale malt
3 lb. biscuit malt
1 lb. medium (50L) crystal malt
8 oz. malted wheat
4 oz. roasted barley
4 oz. peat-smoked malt

Heat 3 3/4 gallons water to 164F
Steep at 152F for 90 min
Sparge with 4 1/2 gallons water at 168F

Add 4 lb. amber DME to runnings

Bring to Boil

10 AAUs Northern Brewer hops (90 min)
6 AAUs Centennial hops (30 min)

Cool, then top up to 5 1/4 gallons with chilled, preboiled water

Scottish ale yeast (Wyeast 1728 or equivalent)

Ferment @ 68F for 4 weeks and then transfer to secondary fermenter and condition cool (50-55F) for 6-8 weeks.

Prime with 1 cup maple syrup.

Where did you get your recipe?

Latest posts

Back