fresh keg, no space in fridge - okay to seal and let sit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingpl

Reaction score
I just finished kegging my third kegged brew (5th brew, but third in a keg) . I have a sanyo kegerator with 2 kegs in it already. One of the kegs in the fridge is down to about 1 gal probably, that should be done in a week or so? So, I have no space for this fresh keg. I just put some co2 in it to seal it and set it next to the kegerator - is that cool? Can I just let it sit for a couple weeks before I put it in the kegerator. Thanks.

Perfect, yah... purge the O2 out, pressurize it to seal her up... will be fine!

Sweet. Thanks for the response. I guess I could have a few kegs just sitting around waiting to go in the kegerator. Does the ambient temp matter? Do you think they could sit around for a long time?

surfingpl said:
Sweet. Thanks for the response. I guess I could have a few kegs just sitting around waiting to go in the kegerator. Does the ambient temp matter? Do you think they could sit around for a long time?

I'd try to store them somewhere that the temperature is stable. Stability is more important then the actual temperature (within reason!). Most beers will improve with aging, exceptions would be hefeweizens or English Bitters.

GT

I brew in 12 gal batches so I always have kegs sitting around. Like said, purge the O2 and seal it up. But the colder you can have it sitting the slower it will age.
I keep mine at 55-60*.

If it's going to be sitting a room temperature, why not toss priming sugar in, so it will be ready to go? Use about 2/3rds as much as you would for bottling and put some CO2 on it to be certain the lid is sealed.

I have two co2 bottles. One for the fridge and one for prepping kegs. Purge the o2, hook the co2 up at 30 psi and let it sit for a day or two. Disconnect and store. I have kegs that I brewed in January sitting waiting for the appropriate time to drink. These are beers that benefit from aging at stable temps......

Does it matter at which PSI you pressurize and seal the keg? Pressure inhibits yeast activity, correct? I'd like to age and store my Cider in a keg so I can free up a secondary.

Does it matter at which PSI you pressurize and seal the keg? Pressure inhibits yeast activity, correct? I'd like to age and store my Cider in a keg so I can free up a secondary.

Generally...just hit it with about 30 pounds and purge several times. Don't try to carbonate at room temp. Wait until you can chill the keg before hooking up the gas for force carbing.

30 PSI will be enough to seat the lid tightly.

Generally...just hit it with about 30 pounds and purge several times. Don't try to carbonate at room temp. Wait until you can chill the keg before hooking up the gas for force carbing.

30 PSI will be enough to seat the lid tightly.

Why not carb at room temp? My first two batches of kegged beer are at room temp with about 21 PSI for carbing.

Is this bad? I was going to depressurize and drop the PSI to 12 PSI when I put it in the refrigerator.

Can't wait to pull my first pint!! Will post pics of the kegerator once I convert the fridge my girlfriend gave me. :fro:

Why not carb at room temp? My first two batches of kegged beer are at room temp with about 21 PSI for carbing.

Is this bad? I was going to depressurize and drop the PSI to 12 PSI when I put it in the refrigerator.

Can't wait to pull my first pint!! Will post pics of the kegerator once I convert the fridge my girlfriend gave me. :fro:
Warm beer doesn't absorb CO2 as readily as cold beer.

The argument is that it requires higher CO2 pressures (and hence more CO2) and it takes longer.

Warm beer doesn't absorb CO2 as readily as cold beer.

The argument is that it requires higher CO2 pressures (and hence more CO2) and it takes longer.

It won't take any more CO2 at room temperature; it just takes a higher pressure to force it into solution. This is also known as vapor pressure (or the concept of) and the reason why CO2 "boils" out of solution when its not under pressure and will come out of solution faster the warmer the beer is.

Just look at a carbonation chart and set the pressure for your room temperature cooresponding to the volumes of CO2 (once again a set amount of CO2) you want to carb at.

Back