1st year Magnum: Harvest big cones, leave smaller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnycreature

Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to find some advice in other threads but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I planted 4 rhizomes in early April and all of them are taking off. My Magnum is the most prolific so far and has produced a decent amount of cones already. Most of them are tiny but there are already some that are ~1 inch long. The tips of some petals are starting to brown and they don't seem to grow anymore so I removed one cone and cut it open (sorry, no pics). The lupulin glands were golden in color, fragrant and sticky. I would feel comfortable to harvest them but I'd probably only get a fraction of an ounce. Since I have a ton more cones that will hopefully grow to at least the same size I was wondering if I can just leave the big ones up an wait until most are the same size or should I harvest whenever cones are ready?

TL;DR: Harvest individual cones when they seem ready or wait until the majority is and do a bulk harvest?

Thanks!

So here's my meager harvest from this morning. Cones are tiny but seem as ripe as they get.

2013-07-19 08.11.32.jpg

Back