OFFICIAL Kate the Great Russian Imperial Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transferred onto the port-soaked cubes. OG was 1.122 and FG measured 1.027, so we're looking at 12.5%! Very boozy, but I'm sure it'll mellow out. Very excited for this one!

Port-soaked. That is such a good effing idea.

I recently had a mead from a commercial micro-meadery that was aged and mixed with port and it was basically amazing. I was thinking that maybe the port characteristics were better than the mead characteristics. Anyway it was awesome.

And then I failed to put two and two together and didn't even think of putting it in my beer.

Has anyone added port to taste?

Mine's been sitting on oak cubes for over a year...I'm about to bottle and looking for recommendations and tasting notes for amount of port to add.

I see 1 oz to a cup in 5 gal.

orangehero said:
Has anyone added port to taste?

Mine's been sitting on oak cubes for over a year...I'm about to bottle and looking for recommendations and tasting notes for amount of port to add.

I see 1 oz to a cup in 5 gal.

I just watched a YouTube interview of Denny Conn last night about this very subject. His advice, which I think is great, is that you are the ONLY one that can decide how your beer should taste. He suggests taking small samples, carefully measuring a very small amount of port, and scaling it up when you decide it is the right amount.

In the first post, he said that the pre-boil gravity was supposed to be 1.104 right? It really looks like that's what he meant. That's a ****load of alcohol.

" Collect about 1/3rd of your wort and sparge to collect 6.5 gals (for a 5 gal. yield) at 26 degrees Plato or 1.104 degrees Specific Gravity."

Vigo_Carpathian said:
In the first post, he said that the pre-boil gravity was supposed to be 1.104 right? It really looks like that's what he meant. That's a ****load of alcohol.

" Collect about 1/3rd of your wort and sparge to collect 6.5 gals (for a 5 gal. yield) at 26 degrees Plato or 1.104 degrees Specific Gravity."

Yep. I hit a personal record OG of 1.122 when I brewed this 5 weeks ago.

When I plug that pre-boil gravity (1.104) into Beersmith, I get a O.G. of 1.135 after the boil, and 15.5% alcohol with that FG. I looked up the original alc% and it says 12%. Now I see, he did mean the O.G. was 1.104 and not the pre-boil.

When I plug that pre-boil gravity (1.104) into Beersmith, I get a O.G. of 1.135 after the boil, and 15.5% alcohol with that FG. I looked up the original alc% and it says 12%. Now I see, he did mean the O.G. was 1.104 and not the pre-boil.

I think he miss typed that. i think he wanted 1104 post boil cause that would
give a 12%ish beer based on efficiency. I hit 1.108 post boil and get to 1.024 and it is delicious. i plugged it in to my calc with temps and came out to 11.7% so do as you feel but mine sat for 4 months on oak cubes i soaked in port for 2 months. so good! you really cant go wrong with this recipe.

ultravista said:
How would WLP007 work for this beer?

It would work great, good attenuation and high alcohol tolerance. If it was me I'd start it at around 62 and then let it climb to 70 at the finish. If 007 gets cold it will drop like a rock and leave the job incomplete.

Pick up a sack and all the specialty grains for this today... That's a lot of specialty grains! Almost enough to make a 5 gallon batch of beer :drunk: I've got a big fat cake of WLP007 that I'm going to drop this on.

I just attended an event last night with Tod Mott and he discussed his plans for a new brewery in Southern Maine. He's working on getting the legal stuff done, and is looking to setup a 15 barrel system. If all goes well, he'll start the build out for the brewery and get equipment in later this year and be brewing next year.

He retains the recipe for KTG (Portsmouth Brewery retains the name), so there may be 15bbl batches of the beer formerly knows as KTG in our future.

Good thing because I tried cloning this and it sucked :D

oop you are right - not sure why I used a 5 gallon keg in my math. So to correct:

2oz port:30oz kate for concoction + oaking for 11G batch

I updated the above post to be correct

That is why I am not an accountant :D

Just curious...

I'm know only a few things about wine, like there is red wine and white wine.

I've got a bottle of this:

Is a port a port and will work out ok?

I got this as a take home gift at a work party, was fairly :drunk: and just grabbed the most unique bottle. Googled it today and turns out it's like a $60 bottle of wine.

IMG_1391.jpg

I read through all 38 pages....I remember someone posting that they party'd this with a black IPA?

Just curious if that turned out or not.

I'll probably run off a batch of something...porter, or stout of some kinda but a BIPA sounds intriguing

atimmerman88 said:
Just curious...

I'm know only a few things about wine, like there is red wine and white wine.

I've got a bottle of this:

Is a port a port and will work out ok?

I got this as a take home gift at a work party, was fairly :drunk: and just grabbed the most unique bottle. Googled it today and turns out it's like a $60 bottle of wine.

Well, it isn't REALLY a port because it's not from Portugal, but it will definitely work and looks quite delicious.

I oaked mine with Zinfandel because I didn't want to buy a bottle of port for only 2 oz. Mine is at 3 months now and wow is it delicious. I carbed mine up and had a few pints, but took it out of the kegerator so it can age another 3 months.

Well, it isn't REALLY a port because it's not from Portugal, but it will definitely work and looks quite delicious.

learned something new today!

sounds like I'll only need a big to soak the oak chips and a bit to add to the secondary.

might have to dabble in the last bit.

atimmerman88 said:
I read through all 38 pages....I remember someone posting that they party'd this with a black IPA?

Just curious if that turned out or not.

I'll probably run off a batch of something...porter, or stout of some kinda but a BIPA sounds intriguing

I did a partygyle with this that was to be a stout then I threw every left over hop I had at it;) plus some leftovers from my hop drawer. I added a pound of black patent and it hit 1.040 before boil. It was one I should of entered into a comp because I could never recreate it. I did a continuous hop with whatever I had. Lots of fun and was awesome. KTG is all gone now but my club is thinking of doing this recipe and have us put it in a barrel with bugs then keg and taking it to the NHC next year in Michigan for club night!
If I get in on the club brew I will definitely do a partygyle and try to recreate that BIPA --
Cheers Kevin!!!

I wanted to thank the OP for this great thread. I've never had Kate The Great but am anxious to taste this clone. I've read this entire thread over time and finally had a chance to brew it this weekend. Without question the biggest beer I've ever made, and it taste great right from the start. Thanks again!!

IMG_20131012_162753_400.jpg

I wanted to thank the OP for this great thread. I've never had Kate The Great but am anxious to taste this clone. I've read this entire thread over time and finally had a chance to brew it this weekend. Without question the biggest beer I've ever made, and it taste great right from the start. Thanks again!!

Wait until you taste it when its 6 months old. I'm drinking mine now that I brewed in march and its amazing

I just dumped my batch. It's the second batch I've ever dumped, and the other was a huge imperial porter. Both had the same quality - an unreasonable straight-espresso acidity that was completely unacceptable. There must be so something with my water chemistry that's preventing me from pulling of these big dark beers. Anyway, I need to regroup and get some water testing done before I make anything like this again.

I just dumped my batch. It's the second batch I've ever dumped, and the other was a huge imperial porter. Both had the same quality - an unreasonable straight-espresso acidity that was completely unacceptable. There must be so something with my water chemistry that's preventing me from pulling of these big dark beers. Anyway, I need to regroup and get some water testing done before I make anything like this again.

Using a large quantity of roasted grains can really lower the PH of your mash, depending on what your water is like. Thats probably something to keep an eye on.

maybe this nomograph can help you get the water to the right conditions for these big dark beers? It is a pretty easy to use nomograph that will allow you to determine what you would need to add to your water and how much of it in order to get the right base water composition for any style.
http://www.howtobrew.com/images/f83.pdf
excel sheet that makes the same calculations: http://howtobrew.com/section3/Palmers_Mash_RA_ver3ptO.xls

master_haze

I have purchased everything to make this beer soon and already have oak spirals soaking in port. I am strongly considering my first Parti Gyle since the OG is so high. I'm curious to hear from the more experienced brewers on here if they think it will work well and if so what would you brew with the second runnings?
I have a friend I'm introducing to homebrewing that may help with the brew day. He really wants to brew a chocolate stout so I considered that for the second runnings. Cocoa powder, nibs and possibly lactose. I also considered a black ipa using some of the extra hops I have around.
Another question: since the second runnings are supposed to be lighter in color and a much lower OG, should I add any left over unused grain from the original recipe to the second mash?
Thank you,
Chad

Edit: I have an extra yeast pack that I'd like to use: Safale us-05

I've done a schwarzbier twice and a Belgian stout once when brewing second runnings from this beer. All came out amazing! If your gravity is light just boil longer before adding your first hop addition or toss in a little dme. You'll be fine.

1Mainebrew said:
I've done a schwarzbier twice and a Belgian stout once when brewing second runnings from this beer. All came out amazing! If your gravity is light just boil longer before adding your first hop addition or toss in a little dme. You'll be fine.
Thank you. I should plan ahead better and be more creative with it but ended up with the stout and a black ipa. Had to use a little dme. Hope it all turns out tasty.

Does anyone that has brewed this in the past know if it is an aggressive fermentation and consistently needs a blow off tube? I've never used this yeast or brewed this recipe before. Thanks.

Do you get a 5 gallon batch from the second runnings? I've got a imperial porter going this weekend with a target gravity of 1.088 @ 5.5 gallons. I should have enough grains for a second lower gravity brew. What do you suggest?

ultravista said:
Do you get a 5 gallon batch from the second runnings? I've got a imperial porter going this weekend with a target gravity of 1.088 @ 5.5 gallons. I should have enough grains for a second lower gravity brew. What do you suggest?

I added a bit of grain to my second mash while I boiled the first beer. Checking the gravity reading pre-boil helped determine what adjustments the second beer needed. I added enough water to finish with 5 gallons but that kept the gravity lower than I wanted so I added a bit of DME during the boil. My first beer had a post boil gravity of 1.096 and the second was 1.040 and I bumped it up a touch. The other option is to boil longer the get the gravity you want but the you will have less volume. Either is fine to do, your choice. Have a good brew day!

Thank you. I should plan ahead better and be more creative with it but ended up with the stout and a black ipa. Had to use a little dme. Hope it all turns out tasty.

Does anyone that has brewed this in the past know if it is an aggressive fermentation and consistently needs a blow off tube? I've never used this yeast or brewed this recipe before. Thanks.

I brewed 10 gallons of this and split it up into three fermenters. It was pretty aggressive.

Update on my batch:
Brewed = 12/14/12
Transfered to Secondary: 1/15/13
Added port soaked oak (soaked for 3 weeks in a cup): 03/03/13
kegged= 4/19/13QUOTE]

Tapped = 9/23/13

Wow, this is a great beer thanks for the recipe! :mug: The complex grain bill comes through in this amazing beer.

The Port wine leaves a distinct fruit flavor that left a few friends stumped, they could taste something fruity coming through but could not pick out what it was. The oak aging definitely adds a lot to the beer.

I recommend this beer with a nice mild/medium macanudo cigar :rockin:

Just wanted to chime in here. I brewed a version of this recipe (I say a "version" in the sense that I adjusted the figures for my system) without the oak back in September, bulk aged it for about two and a half months, and just put it in the keg last night. As I tasted it along the way, I really was enjoying the complex dark fruit flavors of this stout. However when I tasted it last night going into the keg, I definitely got some unpleasant astringency. I'm hoping it fades some as it carbs up and ages some more. I am planning to start sampling again in the new year and I will update further.

One thing I have learned over the past decade+ of homebrewing: it is very difficult to make a great imperial stout. I have high hopes for this one as it matures, though! Thanks for the recipe.

Back