Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this has been posted but I've noticed after opening a bottle and taking a sip or two that foam forms rather quickly and rises to the top. Is this because of the rye?

Not sure if this has been posted but I've noticed after opening a bottle and taking a sip or two that foam forms rather quickly and rises to the top. Is this because of the rye?

Nope, that is atypical. Could be overpriming, incomplete fermentation, or an infection.

I cool immediately. If I had more patience, I'd probably do a 180F hop stand.

Sorry to keep pestering but do you start off with RO water and your only addition to water chemistry is the gypsum? Or do u start with tap water?

Sorry to keep pestering but do you start off with RO water and your only addition to water chemistry is the gypsum? Or do u start with tap water?

I use my tap water and add some gypsum to up the sulfate level. I add it to the kettle since I don't want it to drop the pH of my mash. Here's my water report...

pH 7.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 164
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.27
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.8 / 2.7
ppm
Sodium, Na 11
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 34
Magnesium, Mg 7
Total Hardness, CaCO3 114
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 19 (note: this works out to an actual 57 ppm sulfate)
Chloride, Cl 3
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 90
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 74

I use my tap water and add some gypsum to up the sulfate level. I add it to the kettle since I don't want it to drop the pH of my mash. Here's my water report...

pH 7.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 164
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.27
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.8 / 2.7
ppm
Sodium, Na 11
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 34
Magnesium, Mg 7
Total Hardness, CaCO3 114
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 19 (note: this works out to an actual 57 ppm sulfate)
Chloride, Cl 3
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 90
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 74

Thanks. I thought the beer gods were smiling on me this weekend....normally when I grab some 1450 its days from expiring and I have to build it up a lot....they just received a fresh batch yesterday, 1 week old.....

Then.... I just dropped one of my glass carboys while cleaning.

ForumRunner_20130119_123317.jpg

Oh, man, sorry about the carboy. I switchd to buckets and never looked back after I bumped one carboy into another one and lost ten gal. of double decocted pils.

Pulled first pint from keg. Denny, you were right. I did 1.5oz in keg, amazing!! Pure hop heaven. Can't wait to grow my own hops this spring.
30i7xvo.jpg

I'm finally going to get to do this exactly as posted on Sunday (unless the world ends).
So much has been discussed in this thread and some great ideas but as was mentioned, I'll do it as original then I can make any tweaks that I might like in future brews.

Denny, thanks for sharing and your continual input in this one.

I did brew this Sunday and things were just about perfect. Came in at OG, had a huge starter and 10 hours later it was chugging along. I must say that the last 2 times I used 1450, it was slow and didn't last long. I noticed today, 3 days later that it's finally slowing and I like the smell.
I don't use Mt. Hood much but I do love me some Columbus.
My friends have heard me talk about this one so much, they can't wait. I love hoppy and so do they but we all also like a balanced beer. I think I'll bottle a few when I keg it so I can keep a few around a bit longer. I know the keg is going to kick quickly.

So 3 weeks in the fermenter and how long in the keg before I should taste it at it's best? I usually let it set for 1 week at room temp in the keg then a week in the kegerator and start enjoying. Will that work ok with this one?

So 3 weeks in the fermenter and how long in the keg before I should taste it at it's best? I usually let it set for 1 week at room temp in the keg then a week in the kegerator and start enjoying. Will that work ok with this one?

Probably so. Let your own tastebuds be your guide.

I made a trip to LHBS to get the ingredients minus the pale malt since I have a bag of it from a group buy. Total was $17 from LHBS and Im going to dump it on a yeast cake of s 05 from an APA im going to keg this weekend. Its going to be an exciting brew day with my new 10 gallon MT and SS CFC from williams. I put a ball valve on my BK also

This will do in the mean time

image-2334369019.jpg

I have 2 L starter of 1450 going for a porter I'm brewing today. After reading this, I'll be saving a pint for the rye once one of my kegs frees up.

Id like to keep the recipe as is, but would like to keg hop on top of or instead of dry hopping. It can take me a while to get through a keg when I have a dozen other brews hanging around. Keg hopping tends to keep my pales and ipas "fresher" longer. Anyone else keg hop with this brew?

I've been searching for a solid Rye IPA recipe and this one seems to be THE one! However, the ABV is around 8.6%. What's the best way to adjust to recipe to keep the flavors and balance, but have the alcohol come in around 6-7% ABV. I try to limit my alcohol intake, plus my mash tun is only a 5 gallon Gott cooler and can't hold 16.25# of grain...

I'm enjoying this brew now. I like it hoppier but its a very clean and tasty beer. I think next time ill add another late addition and more dry hops but I did this exactly per recipe and am glad I did. Now I know how to adjust to my tastes.

I've been searching for a solid Rye IPA recipe and this one seems to be THE one! However, the ABV is around 8.6%. What's the best way to adjust to recipe to keep the flavors and balance, but have the alcohol come in around 6-7% ABV. I try to limit my alcohol intake, plus my mash tun is only a 5 gallon Gott cooler and can't hold 16.25# of grain...

I'd just reduce each of the grains by 15%. That should keep pretty much the same profile but come in as a lighter version of the original.

When I plug this into Beersmith, I get 49 IBU's from the 60 minute addition of Columbus. It's listed here as 39. Should I adjust my recipe to make 39 IBU's or is the 49 correct?

When I plug this into Beersmith, I get 49 IBU's from the 60 minute addition of Columbus. It's listed here as 39. Should I adjust my recipe to make 39 IBU's or is the 49 correct?

I'd have to check my notes to know for sure....I'll get back to you. Maybe you have Beersmith set to use a different formula than I do.

I'd just reduce each of the grains by 15%. That should keep pretty much the same profile but come in as a lighter version of the original.
I ended up knocking the grain down 20% (keeping all proportions the same), so I will have 13# total which will fit and will result in about 6.8% ABV.

I'm not sure what to target for bitterness though. I plan to brew tomorrow and calculation is currently at 60.3 IBU using the same hop varieties asnd schedule, but just about an ounce less total. I plan to dry hop with an entire ounce of Columbus. Do you think the IBU is right for this smaller version?

0.5 oz Mt. Hood 5.7% FWH 5.9 IBU
1.0 oz Columbus 15.2% 60 min 46.9 IBU
0.5 oz Mt. Hood 5.7% 30 min 6.8 IBU
1.0 oz Mt. Hood 5.7% 1 min 0.8 IBU
1.0 oz Columbus 15.2% Dry Hop

I have another ounce of Mt. Hood 5.7% on hand, if necessary, but not sure if or when it should be used given that this will be a smaller beer (~6.8%). Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I ended up knocking the grain down 20% (keeping all proportions the same), so I will have 13# total which will fit and will result in about 6.8% ABV.

I'm not sure what to target for bitterness though. I plan to brew tomorrow and calculation is currently at 60.3 IBU using the same hop varieties asnd schedule, but just about an ounce less total. I plan to dry hop with an entire ounce of Columbus. Do you think the IBU is right for this smaller version?

I have another ounce of Mt. Hood 5.7% on hand, if necessary, but not sure if or when it should be used given that this will be a smaller beer (~6.8%). Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I would use the same hop schedule. Most research says that we have a hard time picking up anything less than 10 ibus and 60 ibus isn't out of line one bit for an ipa. Enjoy the brewday.

This was my most recent brew and I opened the first one yesterday. VERY nice!! I missed my OG by a mile on this one for some reason, but it's still a delicious beer! Another great recipe from Mr. Conn!

Shoot for a 1:1 BU:GU ratio with plenty of sulfate in your water.

Denny, I have Weyermann Pilsner malt and a British Maris Otter malt on hand. Do you think either or these malts is a suitable substitute for domestic two row base malt for this beer? Thanks.:)

Question for Denny...

When you brew this nowadays, do you adjust the weight of your hops to match the IBU's of the original recipe? Or do you just go by the ounces listed and not worry about hitting the exact IBUs anymore?

I would use the same hop schedule. Most research says that we have a hard time picking up anything less than 10 ibus and 60 ibus isn't out of line one bit for an ipa. Enjoy the brewday.
Thanks. That's what I ended up doing. Brew day went well and primary fermentation is underway. I will update once it's all done and ready to taste.

Question for Denny...

When you brew this nowadays, do you adjust the weight of your hops to match the IBU's of the original recipe? Or do you just go by the ounces listed and not worry about hitting the exact IBUs anymore?

I never go by hop weight for any recipe, any more than I just accept the efficiency is written for. Whether hops or grain, I adjust based on AA and my own efficiency.

Hi Denny,

I wanted your opinion on a Red Rye IPA recipe malt bill. I always mash at 148 with my IPA's and add Munich or Vienna for some malt sweetness. I've never brewed with rye before and I don't want it to be overly dry. I'm trying to figure out if I should add about 8% Munich or Vienna. What do you think?

9 1/2 lbs Pale malt (2 row)
2 lbs Rye malt
1 1/4 lbs Victory malt
1 lb Crystal 10
1 lb Cara Pils
1/4 lb Chocolate Wheat malt

Mashed at 148 for 60 minutes

Back