plastic conical with better bottle racking port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I just received a 15 gallon plastic conical and I'm starting to get the parts together for it. Has anyone used the better bottle racking adapter with a plastic conical? I'm trying to not break the bank on this project and as much as I like stainless, this seems like a pretty good alternative. I've read that some are disappointed with the flow rate through the better bottle valve but I think I'll learn to live with that.

Is there any reason this would not fit on the plastic conical tank? I'm a bit concerned that the wall of the tank is a bit thicker than the better bottle.

Patirck, Have you considered all brass. This is what I use on mine. Brass 1/2 ball valve, 1 inch nipple, two washers, two O-Rings, silicon tape and the nut to tighten the whole apparatus from the inside.

If you want to use it for bottling just screw in a plastic nozzle and bottle away

You can get all these at any local hardware store for 10 - 15 dollars.

Mine works like a charm.

TD

I was considering that and probably should go that way but I read that brass and copper are a no no for fermentation. I've been looking for stainless or plastic that is beer safe solutions.

I went ahead and ordered the better bottle racking adapter as it was $40 and I didn't think it would be much of a savings to go the home depot route. Now for the bottom drain, I have a 1.5" FPT opening. I'd like to do a yeast catcher as described in some of the other threads and the catcher itself will be made out of PVC. I'm still debating on using a PVC ball valve or a stainless ball valve.

If you decide to go with stainless steel ball valve, read my posting regarding this ebay seller:

Just a heads up for you DIYers that purchase stainless steel ball valves on Ebay....stay away from anything "Idmitch77" is selling.
I purchased two 1 1/2" stainless steel ball valves from him.
When I received them, they were frozen and would not budge.
When I contacted him he apologized and said he'd check his other valves.
I received another email stating that to his surprise, they were all frozen. He apologized for shipping without checking the product, said to send the valves back and he would refund all my money.
I sent the valves back, and he refunded the purchase price and original shipping, but not the return shipping as I had been led to believe.
When I contacted him I was informed he had no intention of refunding all my money...as in return shipping and to go ahead and leave negative feedback on Ebay stating; "I don't care!"
Wow, I've had remarkably good luck with sellers are Ebay, but I guess there are a few bad ones out there...."Idmitch77" happens to be one of them.

I'm pretty happy with BB racking valves. I have no issue with the flow rate as fermented beer shouldn't be moving fast anyway. My only complaints are that they are a little sticky to open and close, to close them you have to feel it click, or it will be open enough to drip on the floor, and the pull ring is just big enough that it interferes with closing the valve completely if you don't hold it up and out of the way (it jams against the valve body when the valve closes).

just ended up on that seller did you see what he replied to your comment I snipped the comment, here it is

ebaybadseller.jpg

I ended up getting a stainless 1.5" ball valve and hex nipple from Duda diesel. It was not much more than the PVC valve. I'm still doing the yeast catcher from 2" PVC pipe that will screw into the ball valve.

Now I just have to figure out how to cut a perfect circle in a piece of plywood for the tank to fit in.

Back