Mellowing with age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hose

Reaction score
Back in June (the 10th to be exact) I kegged an extract Belgian Blonde that came in at 7% ABV. Aged it in the fridge for 30 days before enjoying the fruits of my labor. At first, the taste offered a strong fruit taste in the background. However now, the Blonde has really mellowed and become much much smoother. Do you think this may be due to the longer cold aging?
Thanks.

I brew an IPA with Citra and Warrior hops.

At two months I cannot drink it because it is too bitter for me.

As the months go one it mellows and becomes very complex... strong hops but not bitter.

Some beers age well... a Beer at 7% ABV "can" fit that description...

I would be interested in learning more about what happens through aging beer scientifically speaking. I know hops fade, some harsh flavors become less obvious and the malt sweetness can come through.

Do you keg the IPA and then store it to "cold age" in the fridge. for a few months prior to tapping?

I would be interested in learning more about what happens through aging beer scientifically speaking. I know hops fade, some harsh flavors become less obvious and the malt sweetness can come through.

I served what I thought was my stout at a family reunion and it was getting great reviews.

It had a complex notes that were hard for folks to describe.

So I spent sometime trying to identify what beer it was;;;; since I just grabbed a few kegs from the back of the storage unit...

It turned out it was my Christmas Beer from last year,,, maybe 8-10 months old.

The spices had mellowed to the point they were almost undetectable / unidentifiable.

BUT they seemed to be the key to to complex flavor...

Since then I have not had a keg last that long... so I don't know if this could be reproduced... But I am willing to give it a shot!!!

DPB

Back