How do people find breweries to visit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruelkix

Reaction score
I Yelp the hell out of a town before I go there. I won't be home until December or so, but count me in for a visit when I get back

Google and Facebook. Befriend local breweries near you and see if they'll give you a shout out on their Facebook feed. Most brewers are happy to help out people who are just starting.

I Yelp the hell out of a town before I go there. I won't be home until December or so, but count me in for a visit when I get back

On yelp do you just search for "brewery" and type in the zip code or name of city you are visiting?

I did it for Denver and got some interesting results. I've never really used yelp before except for direct links to reviews.

Google and Facebook. Befriend local breweries near you and see if they'll give you a shout out on their Facebook feed. Most brewers are happy to help out people who are just starting.

Good idea. I know most of the owners for most of the local craft brewers in Denver. I'll see if I can persuade them to get me on their facebook page.

Go to Google Places and register your business so you come up in their maps. Your hours will be displayed, what days your open, etc. but most importantly you'll pop up when people search for breweries in your area!

Google and Yelp are my go to's when I visit a new town. That usually leads me to the brewery's website which then makes a big impression on me if I've just got two evenings and six breweries to choose from. Have a good website with some pictures of the bar area and brewery. Have a page devoted to the beer list and keep it current. Show lots of pictures of beer. Sounds weird, but it's a good marketing tool. If it wasn't, you wouldn't go to a movie theater and be subjected to a 60 second commercial for Coke, candy and popcorn before the movie started. Bring in some live entertainment even if it's just a guy playing a guitar by himself. Musicians will use social media to bring in their fans. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

Good luck in getting started.

Go to Google Places and register your business so you come up in their maps. Your hours will be displayed, what days your open, etc. but most importantly you'll pop up when people search for breweries in your area!

I've done that already. First thing I did :) but like I said, all i use is google maps.

Did you know they actually send you a letter in the mail to confirm you own the business?

Google and Yelp are my go to's when I visit a new town. That usually leads me to the brewery's website which then makes a big impression on me if I've just got two evenings and six breweries to choose from. Have a good website with some pictures of the bar area and brewery. Have a page devoted to the beer list and keep it current. Show lots of pictures of beer. Sounds weird, but it's a good marketing tool. If it wasn't, you wouldn't go to a movie theater and be subjected to a 60 second commercial for Coke, candy and popcorn before the movie started. Bring in some live entertainment even if it's just a guy playing a guitar by himself. Musicians will use social media to bring in their fans. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

Good luck in getting started.

Good stuff. Thanks! Website is up and bought but really needs some work. I might have ot hire a guy. Graphics aren't my thing.

i use Google alot but i also will use the American brewers association alot if you go on there they have a list of all the breweries registered with them and you can search by state. i use it alot when planing a road trip because when diving if i see a city from my list i can gust make it one of my stops.

i use Google alot but i also will use the American brewers association alot if you go on there they have a list of all the breweries registered with them and you can search by state. i use it alot when planing a road trip because when diving if i see a city from my list i can gust make it one of my stops.

Ok, I'm a member, I'll make sure to get on the list. Thanks!

I travel a lot(44 states in the last 2 years) Beer and food are always a part of my agenda I use the following and look for multiple sources that recommend a place:

beeradvocate.com
urbanspoon.com
tripadvisor.com
google.com

Shout out to local beer bloggers. I'm big on visiting new breweries and often hear about them first on the various local beer blogs. Good luck with your business!

cruelkix said:
I've done that already. First thing I did :) but like I said, all i use is google maps.

Did you know they actually send you a letter in the mail to confirm you own the business?

I do! Haha I actually registered a small business as well last year and had to punch in the code they sent in the mail.

+1 for Yelp, and I'll second having a good website with proper tags so that you come up on a random google for Colorado breweries. In Oregon the brewer's guild produces a guide and has a website with brewery listings, you might try to connect with the Colorado guild and get listed.

+1 for live music. It can make for an exciting environment.

Although, don't do it unless you plan to pay the musicians. Just imagine if a band without a guaranteed audience asked you to give away your beer for free at their concert and told you something like, "Imagine all of the exposure you'll get."

I can't imagine many brewery's just trying to get off the ground would be to excited about that situation.

In addition to web searches I use the BreweryMap app for my Droid. It pulls a Google map of your location and overlays local breweries on the map as well as providing links to the brewery's websites, beer lists, and reviews. Its great to find out what's around or to find a quick stop on a long road trip. BreweryMap is the only app I've ever bought and I've been very pleased.

Beermapping.com does require you to be open before the location will be approved, but once you're open definitely submit it (or message me and I'll add it.) My app, Find Craft Beer, pulls from the beermapping database in real time so once you're on there anyone using my app will be able to find you too.

Your state may also have an association. I check out http://www.washingtonbeer.com/ here in Washington. They also put out little maps of where to find the breweries at places like hotels, airports, or ferry boats.

Beermapping.com does require you to be open before the location will be approved, but once you're open definitely submit it (or message me and I'll add it.) My app, Find Craft Beer, pulls from the beermapping database in real time so once you're on there anyone using my app will be able to find you too.

Good to know. Thanks!

+1 for live music. It can make for an exciting environment.

Although, don't do it unless you plan to pay the musicians. Just imagine if a band without a guaranteed audience asked you to give away your beer for free at their concert and told you something like, "Imagine all of the exposure you'll get."

I can't imagine many brewery's just trying to get off the ground would be to excited about that situation.

My place is not very big .... maybe a dude with an guitar?

Back