Cooler fittings question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
Converting a rubermaid cooler into a MLT. I've decided to go with a false bottom and 1/2" ballvalve (Good decision over 3/8" valve?) I've noticed that all false bottoms come with a 3/8" elbow so I'm wondering what I would need to connect the 3/8" elbow? Would I need a 1/2" to 3/8" converter that would connect to a 3/8" barb and from there some tubing to connect to the elbow? Do I need a bulkhead?

Thanks

Also would there be any issues going with 3/8" tubing the inside to 1/2" on the outside? Should I keep them consistent?

For the 3/8" question, you could get a 1/2" MPT to 3/8" barb to screw into your ball valve, then run some high-temp tubing to the elbow.

If you want to maintain 1/2" plumbing you'd have to come up with a 1/2" replacement for the 3/8" elbow through the false bottom, and may have to hard-plumb it to the ball valve...

Cheers!

I just did exactly what day trippr said and went with a 3/8" barb on the inside. I believe I had to use a female coupler then screw the barb into that...

Yep, same coupler and I threaded a 3/8" barb into that. On the outside I currently have a 1/2" valve with a camlock QD, but over time it's had both 3/8" and 1/2" barbs threaded in. All have worked fine.

With the 1/2" barb and QD I have to be careful when pumping from it or it'll compact my grain bed and cause a stuck sparge.

I went with the 1/2" to connect to my pump before I decided to go with QD's on everything. I have no problem with the 3/8" on the inside though.

That looks pretty much exactly like the setup I have, with dual washers on the outside to get the valve away from the cooler. I bought mine as a kit from my LHBS, though I have bought a ton of stuff from bargainfittings. I was actually just about to recommend them instead of morebeer.

Back