Editable PDF Brew Log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
I was just messing around trying to build me a brew log file that is editable, and could be printed off as a blank form as well. Not really sure if this is a good idea, but I kinda wanted to see what others think of it. If alot of ppl like it I may continue to edit it. Also I am up for any idea for changes. Thanks for reading. :mug:

This Brew Log is completely editable and can also be printed off to write on as well. You can save the files after you add the data.
*Updated V1.3.2 3/7/12*
*Now includes a Checklist for Extract
** Includes Tasting Notes

Here is File: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44796802/BrewForm_v1.3.2.pdf

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

I like it. I am thinking a about doing an excel version, with a tab to keep a tally of efficiency and attenuation. I'm a pretty new and haven't really taken the best notes so far. I want to start and I think this might. Be really helpful.

Having a standard form that you can easily print is a great idea for keeping track of your brews.

I don't know how to do it as a PDF, but an excel table like quadmx08 suggested is what I would do. The bonus is that in excel you can use the formulas to pull the data together to get some fun stats.

How many pounds of grain did I use last year, what types, hops, efficiency over time, etc.

Having a standard form that you can easily print is a great idea for keeping track of your brews.

I don't know how to do it as a PDF, but an excel table like quadmx08 suggested is what I would do. The bonus is that in excel you can use the formulas to pull the data together to get some fun stats.

How many pounds of grain did I use last year, what types, hops, efficiency over time, etc.

*Updated V1.1.0*

Your right with the Excel and I do plan on that as well, but I dont much care for open offices version or at least all the ones I download wont work well with open office. So far we have been just using print offs and I still keep everything either on my computer or my iBrewMaster ipad. but we do keep paper back up in case something happens. Plus this helps with the what did he write? Since I don't have the best hand writing this helps keep 90% readable. But I will work on an excel version in the future at least one that works with Microsoft and open office. :ban:

+1 *Updated V1.2.1*

added a few new things cleaned up from previous version, and added a checklist for extract brewing which atm is all we are able to do.:mug:

Adding a page for tasting notes(scoring) just cause I want too. And some time later will add
Mash sheet, I dot do AG yet so I will have to just look around.

Added the Tasting Sheet, I think this will be it for a while until I start to do AG, But I believe I will be starting an Spreed Sheet file to add in auto calculations....

DaveSutton said:
Terrific product. Can't wait for the Excel version as I am trying to reduce paper files.

Thanks. Also I did notice that after you download you can save the file only print off. I will chance that in the next update. I believe you should be able to save the file. Just got to figure out what setting to change. Keep. Look out forth next update 1.3.3

*Updated V1.1.0*

Your right with the Excel and I do plan on that as well, but I dont much care for open offices version or at least all the ones I download wont work well with open office. So far we have been just using print offs and I still keep everything either on my computer or my iBrewMaster ipad. but we do keep paper back up in case something happens. Plus this helps with the what did he write? Since I don't have the best hand writing this helps keep 90% readable. But I will work on an excel version in the future at least one that works with Microsoft and open office. :ban:

There's a great brew log that uses Google Docs here.

I like that spreadsheets can calculate formulas automatically for you once you enter in some basic data.

There's a great brew log that uses Google Docs here.

I like that spreadsheets can calculate formulas automatically for you once you enter in some basic data.

As do I, but I tried the google dos one.. and its great, my problem is I like to of offline docs to use and I tried to export it over to Open Office and it doesn't work.... I don't have Microsoft excel and don't plan on getting it either. Plus I can open it on my iphone and print strait from it as just a blank page.

But thanks for pointing that out... it is a great program, this is just for those that like a editable sheet, but also is still laid out to be a printed blank sheet.:drunk:

Any way to save this pdf after we have typed data into it? Seems to say I can only print out once data is entered. I would like to go back and at some point type in my actual readings.

Jerry

Any way to save this pdf after we have typed data into it? Seems to say I can only print out once data is entered. I would like to go back and at some point type in my actual readings.

Jerry

Yeah there is. Sorry life got in the way, I'll try to get it finished tomorrow.. Thanks for reminding me. I am in the process of building 3 keggels at the moment. And it's taking alot of time up.

Yeah there is. Sorry life got in the way, I'll try to get it finished tomorrow.. Thanks for reminding me. I am in the process of building 3 keggels at the moment. And it's taking alot of time up.

Keggles take precedent, that's for sure! Thanks

Ok here is the situation I have run into. My version is not an issue with Open Office but an issue with Adobe (Go figure) I have to have the pay version to open the file and set permissions to allow ppl to save the data in the forms. So one of two options, if anyone has a pay version of adobe pro, extended, or what ever Send me a message, if not I will just make the Version into strictly Open Office (Not ideal because not everyone has open office, but it is free to download.). So I am hoping someone has Adobe... Ill bump this a few times to make sure I find someone. :(

Well, looks like two other ways around this from the users end.
Something called PDF-XChange Viewer which is discussed here.
I haven't tried it yet.
Also you can generally print as a pdf file instead of sending it to the printer.
The problem with this though is the form is not editable at a latter time.

I like your form. Have been working on something similar in a database format. I also incorporated a sheet for printing labels and a window to beercalculus.hopville.com to check your recipes. Am working now on gather yeast info, so far I have the white labs and wyeast strains with their specs and notes.

Shooter said:
Okay, this is totally off-topic, but I thought the title of this thread said EDIBLE PDF Brew Log. I couldn't imagine what the heck the thread was about. Then I saw that it was EDITABLE. My bad!

Lol you made me second look....

Anyway I have been able to get the forms to save now because of the help from spokaniac. I will try to release it later today. It may have some errors but I want to wait until I have a bag of them before I get them all repaired.. So please respond on likes dislikes and problems. I post again when it's up.

edw6buffalo said:
Great Job.
Very helpful and thoughtful.

Will help me keep organized for sure!
Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks I appreciate it. One day I might get back to this and get an update. Couple of features I wanted to add to it.

The log looks awesome, but why not include spaces for mashing details?

Glad you enjoyed it.. be on the look out.. I have really debated on updating this with a mash schedule and a fermentation chart. As I am about to jump into AG.

Fantastic! I just started my first batch of beer yesterday (I do wine, mead, and cider already), but it was just one of those kits and was only a partial (I used DME and LME) but it's already got a nice Kräusen on it, not 20 hours later and is bubbling nicely. Please post the update in this thread so I'll see it. Cheers.

I was just messing around trying to build me a brew log file that is editable, and could be printed off as a blank form as well. Not really sure if this is a good idea, but I kinda wanted to see what others think of it. If alot of ppl like it I may continue to edit it. Also I am up for any idea for changes. Thanks for reading. :mug:

This Brew Log is completely editable and can also be printed off to write on as well. You can save the files after you add the data.
*Updated V1.3.2 3/7/12*
*Now includes a Checklist for Extract
** Includes Tasting Notes

Here is File: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44796802/BrewForm_v1.3.2.pdf

This is really cool. Would be awesome to post an editable document publicly, and allow people to comment directly on it or add to it with their own recipes and processes. Have you used something like wearenucleus.com? It's a cool platform that's free and open to the public that can do this sort of stuff.

HI there
I am new here ,and i need to edit my PDF logo. I just want to know that if there is a PDF program which supports to edit pdf files directly.Thanks for any suggestions.

HI there

I am new here ,and i need to edit my PDF logo. I just want to know that if there is a PDF program which supports to edit pdf files directly.Thanks for any suggestions.

There is a PDF editor from Adobe that might but I can't promise. I used "open office" than had some one with Adobe fix issues with the default PDF reader.

Fantastic! I just started my first batch of beer yesterday (I do wine, mead, and cider already), but it was just one of those kits and was only a partial (I used DME and LME) but it's already got a nice Kräusen on it, not 20 hours later and is bubbling nicely. Please post the update in this thread so I'll see it. Cheers.

Glad you enjoy it. I have a kid on the way and brewing hasn't been top priority latly. But I am about to start AG. So my file will need an update for that. So stay tuned.

Sorry for the log reply. Some times. It doesn't show I have a response than one day it will show I have a few

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is a PDF editor from Adobe that might but I can't promise. I used "open office" than had some one with Adobe fix issues with the default PDF reader.

Glad you enjoy it. I have a kid on the way and brewing hasn't been top priority latly. But I am about to start AG. So my file will need an update for that. So stay tuned.

Sorry for the log reply. Some times. It doesn't show I have a response than one day it will show I have a few

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Thread resurrection. Do you (or anyone) still have a copy of this? The Dropbox link has expired. Thanks!

Back