Budget Summer India Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Irish ale 1084 (prior slurry)
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
SRM 13, Copper to red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 68-72 deg f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 68-72 deg f (dry hop)
Tasting Notes
(haven\'t tried yet will post results)
%___lbs.____oz.___Ingredients
69% 8 0 Pale Malt, 2 Row, US
17% 2 0 Vienna Malt
9% 1 0 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
2% 0 4 Candi Sugar
2% 0 4 Biscuit Malt
1% 0 2 Black Patent Malt

Hops Schedule
Magnum 1 oz 60min pellet
Cascade .5 oz 5min leaf
Cascade .5 oz (dry hop) leaf

Spices/other additions
Orange zest .25 oz 5min boil
Coriander .25 oz 5min boil

Mash at 155, 165 before the addition of grains unless the temp of the grains was previously brought up to temperature (steep 40 minutes). Sparge 165 3 step. Boil 90 minutes, start 60 minute hop/spice schedule 30 minutes in. If doing stove top (like I did) and have problems with boil volume, I used two seperate stock pots 21 quart, and the other slightly less. Use just enough water in the pots to completely cover the grains and not spill over the top (about halfway mark on both pots). After sparging reduce boil volume by boiling an hour to an hour and a half, should be able to consolidate after in one pot to make it easier for hop/spice schedule. Use fresh orange peeled just the skin no white rhine, washed well (if concerned about infection boil for 10 min), may want to roast the coriander in a pan to help release flavor.

Yeast isn't common but retaining a prior slurry, help with costs, use a more traditional yeast for an IPA if stringent about beer style guidelines. According to beer calculus 40 IBU's is the minimum for an American IPA, the SRM is also within the guidlines. ABV should be around 6.5% depending on attenuation and other variables. I'm going to condition in mini kegs (reused coors home draft kegs) I'll update when the best outcome will be for conditioning (by my palate).

*Baseline for bittering with 40 IBU's by BJCP style guidelines for an IPA without the addition of Centennial, with centennial will be around 60 IBU's which is more recommended. Also, some more late additions of citrusy flavorful hops may be more desirable like amarillo last 5 min/flameout/ or even add with cascade dryhopped. If you want to substitute magnum for an even higher alpha hops for bittering, and for AIPA standards summit is great and American.

Dryhopping: Recommend using a muslin or other mesh bag when using leaf hops. Neat trick is to use a sanitized marble in the bag to keep the hops down.

Price: $20 (depending on the place you get your grain, hops, and utilizing a prior yeast cake/slurry.)

Refer for banter: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/budget-summer-india-pale-ale-257603/

If you like a more hoppy beer and want to spend an extra $3.00 (varies but typical) use .5 oz Centennial at 30 min, again at 15 min, then use the full oz of cascade leaf for dryhopping. Some more late additions of citrusy flavorful hops may be more desirable like amarillo last 5 min/flameout/ or even add with cascade dryhopped. If you want to substitute magnum for an even higher alpha hops for bittering, and for AIPA standards summit is great and American. Price may come up a little more to $25 (varies) Cheers!

Back