lawn mower...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
inspired by the champaign of beers.... for me and me pops this summer.

8lbs pilsner malt
.5 lbs aromatic (belgian)
.5 lbs carapils

.5 oz saaz fwh
1oz saaz full boil
.5 oz saaz at 8 minutes, don't ask why 8, just seemed like fun :)

german ale/kolsh yeast...

don't have a gravity yet, as it's being chilled. collected about six gallons.

:D

pics....

hydrometer shot for bill ;) ended up about 1.039...

beer003.jpg

areated wort... my back hurts... :D

beer006.jpg

Nice - I have one lager going now, It's time to start up another one for late summer.

I never brewed a *really* light ale.

I just sampled my New Bohemia Pils last night. It's been lagering for 2 months now. Clear as a bell...delicious stuff. It's my first real lager...

Anyway, to the point: I would recommend, during your first week or two of lagering (post-fermentation), dry-hopping. Use pellets if you can---the cold temps help the particulate settle much better, so that upon racking, you can leave all of it in there. This is pretty much the only time I recommend using pellets to DH. So, anyway, when I tasted it, it has this awesome woody character to it that is almost certainly from the hops. It's really enjoyable. Just my 2 cents...

1.039 is nice...for me at least.

My Belgian Wit came in at 1.036 and finished at 3.6%.

Just what I wanted for a nice summer session ale.

What are the aromatic grains like? I've never used...

yep, ss racking cane. after snapping numerous plastic ones i bucked up ten or twelve bucks and got the ss. it has a nifty little spring on the bottom to keep it off the bottom of vessel.

it is a kolsh style ale, but the kolsh is fermented at cooler temps than yer averidge english style ale, then cold stored (lagered) like a traditional pils.

the aromatic malt gives it a more malty flavor and smell...

EdWort said:
Nice. Post a pic when the finished product is ready.

My back loves my Better Bottles!

i will post some finished bevys...

lol ed! i will never go over to the darkside of bb!!! infact, that is a new 6.5 gallon in the pic, it's maiden voyage if you will ;)

Where did you get your SS brewpot? It looks like a beauty. Also, how much does it hold and (sorry about all these questions) do you know what the diameter is?

p.s. Your beer looks beautiful in that last pic.

it's a sunbeam turkey fryer kit. the pot is 32 or 34 quarts... i got it two years ago at sam's club for 69.99... never seen another one since.

busts out tape measure. diameter is 13 inches. (diameter is measured across right?)

uglygoat said:
it's a sunbeam turkey fryer kit. the pot is 32 or 34 quarts... i got it two years ago at sam's club for 69.99... never seen another one since.

busts out tape measure. diameter is 13 inches. (diameter is measured across right?)
That's the same one I got. I recognize the lid.

Hey...I recognize that carboy...

Wait a minute....

That sink looks familiar.

UG, are you in my basement?

Latest posts

Back