Grilled Pizza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan3825

Reaction score
I didn't want to go further off topic so here are the instructions for my grilled pizza. Obviously you can mix up the dough any way that works for you. We don't use a mixer. Sorry this isn't brief.

Pizza Dough
Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
Pinch of sugar
1/4 cup room temperature white wine
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoon fine gray sea salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or garlic-infused olive oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
Instructions:
Combine the water, yeast and pinch of sugar in a large bowl. Stir gently until fully dissolved and then wait two minutes.

Gently stir in white wine.

Add honey, salt and olive oil. Mix thoroughly by hand. Or, use a KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook attachment at low-medium speed.

Mix in 1 cup of the flour to make a wet paste. Add remaining flour. If using a KitchenAid mixer, increase speed to medium-high, but be careful not to over-mix.

Knead dough by hand on a lightly-floured board for 2-3 minutes.

Place the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise for 45 minutes to an hour in a warm and humid environment (try putting the bowl on top of an oven set to 300 degrees or above an open dishwasher that has just finished running).

The dough can be kept, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

When ready to use, split the dough into four equal parts.(I think we split it into more or maybe we usually make double and triple batches. We usually only do this for larger gatherings.) On a lightly-floured board, use a rolling pin or your hands to stretch and shape each piece of dough into an 11-inch pizza crust.

What we do is add a little more flour to the dough so it isn't to sticky and spray the grates with pam.

Pizza sauce
1 (12 ounce) can tomato Paste
8 ounces Hefe weisse
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 tsp salt
Simmer for about half an hour on low-medium heat or until desired thickness. Add some red pepper if you want it a little spicier.

You don't want the grill to hot. I am not sure how hot. We precook all of our ingredients except the veggies.(meat, mushrooms basically anything that you might get sick if you eat raw) We put a pizza crust directly on the grill grates and crisp one side. We flip it then put our toppings on starting with the sauce and ending with the cheese. Once the cheese is melted it is done. The melted cheese keeps everything on the pie.

I got a marinara sauce recipe from a friend that I might try as sauce next summer.

Here are some pictures on another forum I frequent.

We have also made pretzel burgers on the grill. One quarter pound hamburger patty, one brat patty, a slice of cheddar cheese, bacon, onion, lettuce, tomato and pickle on a pretzel bun. Have to make the buns yourself from homemade soft pretzel dough. Just make the loops a little smaller. Got the idea from The Great Dane in Madison. Pictures also in the linked thread.

I always grill my pizzas on my wood pellet grill. I will usually grill it until its just about done, then kick it on smoke for about 10-15 minutes. Good stuff!

Steven b~

We have grilled over gas and coals. We had the coals to hot at first and burned the bottom a little. Still tasted great. I think we also tried grilling watermelon that day. That tasted terrible.

We always use garlic infused olive oil for the crust. I love garlic.

I don't understand why you would open your post with this phrase?

I didn't want to go off topic to far in a different thread.

We have grilled over gas and coals. We had the coals to hot at first and burned the bottom a little. Still tasted great. I think we also tried grilling watermelon that day. That tasted terrible.

Next time try grilling mangos or peaches. :ban: AWESOME!!! Pineapple is good, as well as plums.

I have seem Bobby Flay grill peaches and I will probably try that next summer. I don't really like peaches so I have not tried it yet. I think he grilled them with butter, sugar and cinnamon.

I have grilled potatoes several different ways including wedges and a grilled potato salad. I saw that on, you guessed it, Bobby Flay.

Latest posts

Back