No added sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I'm thinking of chucking some juice and yeast in a demi-john and pretty much just seeing what happens. Organic 100% juice of course, but what sort of figures should I aim for for a relatively strong wine using this method?

You won't get a strong wine without added sugar, because juice is rarely made from high-sugar wine grapes. I'd aim for 1.100, that would be 13% ABV.

I'll chuck a booster in then. I do however have another problem...the juice i've bought was on an insane special offer, and so I've bought it, but it contains Vitamin C and Malic Acid.
Vitamin C is obviously fine if you boil the juice, which I'll do. What about avoiding the effect of the malic acid?

Malic acid is added for flavor. It's fine.

Don't boil the juice, though! You'll set the pectin (think jelly). No need to boil juice at all, especially since it's from a store.

Well, it's rubicon...it also contains Citric Acid, Pectin, Colour and Lycopene. Are any of these going to be a problem? I read somewhere that Malic Acid can affect the brewing process :s

Organic?! That's a heap of additives, but they are all flavor and color, except the Vitamin C, which is there as a preservative.

Back