Best Micro Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been decidedly "funky" every time I've tried it.

Now that's an awesome description, I will remember that one. All I really meant to imply is that Fat Tire tastes like a Pepsi. To anyone who does travel out this way and ever gets a chance to stop by the New Belgium Brewery, try some of the brews from their "Lips of Faith" line. Go for the La Follie, THAT'S a funky beer.

Hobgoblin
Terrapin golden ale
anything from Brooklyn Brewery!!!
Youngs Ram Rod( which i havent been able to find in the States for years)

Fearless in Estacada, Oregon - Maibock (maltilicious!)
Deschutes - Black Butte Porter, Mirror Pond Pale, and Twilight Pale
Ninkasi - Believer
(and so many more I can't even remember)

Deschutes Inversion IPA

Deschutes Black Butte Porter

(not sure if it's a microbrew) - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Full Sail Wreck the Halls

Alaskan Amber (and their Summer Kolsch).

10 awesome ones I've had this year:
2009 Lost Abbey Red Poppy sour ale
Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Captain Lawrence Smoke from the Oak Porter aged in Apple Brandy Barrels
Town Hall Brewery Czar Jack Bourbon Chocolate Stout
1999 Alesmith Grand Cru
The Bruery Oude Tart oude bruin
2003 Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek
Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorosa
Port Brewing 4th Anniversary IIPA

I'm lucky in the fact that there are a lot of brew pubs out here in tucson and the surrounding areas.

Some of my favorites are the belgian wit from BJ's which taste much like hoegaarden, the porter from Beaver street brewery in flagstaff, Old Monkeyshine from Nimbus, and the hefeweizen they on tap over at thundercanyon brewery. Although my favorite hefe to date was from 777 brewery in Las Vegas.

I may have skimmed over too quickly, but I only saw one vote for Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Fantastic beer, they could brew it year round and have problems keeping up with demand.

I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada beers, especially the ones on tap at their pub here in town. However, I don't think they really qualify as a "micro" brewery per se. At this point, they've become so big they are just shy of a macro brewery...especially since last year they added even more production.

But last year I went to a little place up in McKinleyville, CA called Six Rivers Brewery. Nice little pub overlooking the coast, and inexpensive but good food. But the best part about that place was their Kona Moon Porter. I had to take a big growler to go it was so good. Their other beers were also very good, including a Chili Pepper Ale I fully expected to dislike. I think what I like about them is that their brewing area is just off the main tap room, and they brew it up in pretty small batches. I think these small batches keep the flavor of the beers variable, and I appreciate the variety.

I used to like it more when Sierra Nevada was smaller, and their Pale Ale would taste just a bit different for each batch they made. Their seasonals are still different year to year, but I miss the smaller brewery. That being said, I'm very impressed with SNs consistency and their commitment to responsible brewing. They've done a lot for the community here and are incredibly environmentally friendly. Last year they brought in hydrogen fuel cell generators and a huge array of solar panels to power the whole brewery. It's pretty cool that even as a large company, they are willing to sacrifice some profit for the good of the environment.

Is this just a little bit north of Arcata near Eureka? If so, that is cool! I went to Humboldt State University, so I am familiar with the area. Maybe next time I am in that area I will look them up!

Portland Brewery.

A nice little oasis in the middle of a s-hole area. Spent 5 weeks there in the cold rain in March. THE fireplace is a nice touch. Great food and beer. (just wished they still made the Zig Zag. anyone have a recipe?)

Calapooia Brewing Company, Albany, Oregon. Their Rock Hard Rye, Simcoe Springs IPA, and RIPArian are good - actually their entire list of ales is terrific. Our little secret in Albany - and they music they have on weekends is perfect (also, their burgers are the best around). Our little slice of heaven :mug:

The two best beers I've ever enjoyed -

1) Founder's, in Grand Rapids, MI - they had some sort of oak-barrel aged porter only available at the brewery. It was last summer sometime - absolutely incredible! I was inspired to visit the brewery after having a four pack of their Kentucky Breakfast, which itself is pretty righteously good stuff!

2) Was in Michigan a month or so ago and Bell's in Kalamazoo had brewed a batch of Hopslam for competition and had a couple of extra kegs - I could not believe they had it! Wow - is that one seriously amazing brew. I'd had it in bottles before and loved it, but fresh from the tap was a whole other dimension.

I also like several of the Dark Horse brews - took some "One", "Too", and "Fore" back to Baltimore with me. Yum!

Mike

Moonlight Brewing - Death and Taxes

No, No.....

Wakonda Brewing - Black Elk Stout or

Oakshire's Well Tempered Gnome and Cappuccino Stout, Watershed IPA.....Mmmmmm!

No, it's

Russian River's Consecration, or everything on the Belgium styles list that Vinnie makes!

Favourite 6-pack under $10 at the moment

Brown's Brewing Co. - Oatmeal Stout
Long Trail Brewing - Double Bag
Lake Placid Craft Brewing - Ubu Ale
Saranac - Pale Ale

Here's my current top 5, all from Ohio

1) Hoppin' Frog - Boris the Crusher
2) Great Lakes Nosferatu
3) Hoppin' Frog - Hop Dam Triple IPA
4) Thirsty Dog - Siberian Night
5) Great Lakes Christmas Ale

I typically grade my beer on an A to F scale. Some of the A beers are Dogfish Head Black And Blue, Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale, Black Flag, Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale, Stone Arrogant Bastard, Founders Imperial Stout, Deschutes The Abyss and La Fin Du Monde.

Some of my current favorites are:
Stone - RIS
DFH - Burton Baton
Boulder Brewery - Obovoid
Bear Republic - Black Stout
Flying Dog - Gonzo Imperial Porter

But there are a ton on my list I haven't tried. In fact, this list inspired me to stop by the store tonight and get check some off my wish list.

Almost anything by Lagunitas--Little Sumpin Sumpin is my favorite but I like them all.

Anything by Stone.

Yeti by Great Divide.

I really want to try Russian River products but they aren't yet available in Tx.

I really llike DFH Indian Brown Ale. Its got everything. But I sure do like all Founders brews.

Boulevard Brewing- Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale
Bell's- Two Hearted Ale
Bear Republic- Racer 5 IPA
Bell's- Hopslam

Too bad the brewpub was sold to a new owner; but West Virginia Brewing Company used to have the best brown pale ale named Appalachian Ale" or "Appy Ale" to the locals. I attended a few club meetings there and was given the recipe but it never came out anything close to the original. Damn I miss that beer!

Back