kumkwat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_narbrew

Reaction score
i just had my first kumkwat. i think using kumkwats in beer (probably wheat beer) would be great. how would one go about putting kumkwats in beer?

The best part of kumquats is the rind. Maybe you could use the zest.

The zest would probably be wonderful in a tart witbier or some other wheat ale. As for the fruit itself, citrus fruits don't usually ferment very well, resembling vomit more often than not after the yeast are done with them. You could try serving the beer with a fresh kumquat on the side or experiment with squeezing just a little bit of juice into the beer just before drinking.

I just made a wit with the zest from 2 oranges (off neighbors tree). Tastes great. This was a 10g batch. It might be a blue moon clone (I need to get one and see).

If you don't know, the "zest" simply means using a fine grater and taking the very outer layer off the fruit. You don't take any of the underlying white pith, nor any of the fruit. Maybe 1/2" mm of the outer skin.

Back