wheat dme preferred for wheat beer starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
I'm making Edwort's bavarian wheat on Thursday and picking up the yeast this afternoon. I've got plenty of dme on hand but no wheat extract. Any reason the wheat extract would be better?

If it is just for a starter i would not worry about it. I believe that malted wheat contains maltose, just like malted barley... therefore, if you are using DME it will be all good.

I think he was asking about using a XL DME, not a wheat DME, I don't see a real advantage to using wheat DME over XL DME for a yeast starter. Somebody correct me if i am wrong.

It has been said that the yeast will prepare best if they are fermenting the same thing in the starter that they will be fermenting in the brew. That said, I have made starters with table sugar and yeast nutrient and had no obvious problems.

No biggie, I was just wondering if the yeast would benefit from having wheat extract in the starter instead of regular dme. I doubt it matters, its more hypothetical anyway.

No biggie, I was just wondering if the yeast would benefit from having wheat extract in the starter instead of regular dme. I doubt it matters, its more hypothetical anyway.

It will be fine either way.

The guy at my LHBS tells me that the wheat malt makes the yeast healthier but I doubt there is a significant difference.

I was re-listening to Jamil's Bavarian Weizen show from 2006 and he pointed out that in Germany 50% wheat must be used by law.

Apparently the reason is because the yeast need a certain compound that exists in the wheat in order to create their signature flavor of banana and clove.

johnnyc
I see you have a Robust Porter kegged. Is it based off Jamil's recipe? I just brewed a version today + toasted coconut. How has yours turned out?
AM

Back