What is most recommended yeast for sweet stout or Oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed a sweet/oatmeal stout today that I have brewed before but am adding some chocolate elixir at bottling to to give me a "Chocolate Oatmeal Stout". It is an extract recipe that I really enjoy from my beginning brewing days. This time I used Windsor yeast because I kind of like the low attenuation and "neutral English" taste profile of this yeast but now am questioning the choice. I have used Nottingham and WLP 007(used the stout to create a starter for an English Barleywine) for the same recipe but felt it was a bit dry.

Here is the recipe for 3 Gallons
Dry Malt - Light 43ppg, 5°L 3 pounds
Oats (Flaked) 32ppg, 2°L 0.5 pounds (used Quaker 1 min quick oats instead because no LHBS)
Carapils/Dextrin 33ppg, 1.5°L 0.5 pounds
Chocolate 29ppg, 350°L 0.5 pounds
Barley (Roasted) 28ppg, 500°L 0.25 pounds

Any preferences for a sweet stout or oatmeal stout yeast?
Will the low attenuation help counter the chocolate as I originally thought or should I have gone with Notty or a whitbread strain?
Am hooked on English styles and really enjoy milds, porters and stouts (with lower IBU's and less "burned" flavor) so am trying to learn several of the yeast strains and where they fit with my brew pattern. Dry works best. Any Info and education, as always, is greatly appreciated.
Ben

For dry yeast, I like Windsor or S04. The windsor if I'm not using alot of sweet malts, since it's not very attenuative, and the S04 for a standard oatmeal stout. I'd probably use S04 for a stout with lactose, so that it's not too sweet.

For liquid yeast, I like London ale yeast (WLP013).

+1 for London Ale for liquid
+1 for the Windsor or S-04, used both for a variety of styles, including stout.

However, MY personal preference would lean towards Nottingham: incredibly clean at low-60's/high-50's fermentation temperature, finishes super fast and flocculates like a champ!

For dry yeast, I like Windsor or S04. The windsor if I'm not using alot of sweet malts, since it's not very attenuative, and the S04 for a standard oatmeal stout. I'd probably use S04 for a stout with lactose, so that it's not too sweet.
For liquid yeast, I like London ale yeast (WLP013).

less than 3 minutes for a reply gotta love HBT!

Yooper thanks for the reply so quickly, also for all the other info I've gotten from your other posts over the past year or so. I am not using lactose which is one of the reasons I chose the Windsor rather than S-04 ( so I guess I am learning) hopefully this will be one of the final tweaks to the recipe, only other thing may be to add some maris otter to the specialty grains and mash it to make it a PM, will try this with the london ale yeast as well, have not used it at all yet. again thanks

Reno thanks also you answered while I was typing this

When I was putting together my Oatmeal Milk Stout, my LHBS guy recommended Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004). I bottled yesterday after 3 weeks in the primary and I was very pleased with the flavor profile. I'm looking forward to seeing how much it improves 2 weeks in the bottle.

+1 on the Irish Ale Yeast. :mug:

Just kegged an Oatmeal Stout that I made with that strain. Tasted excellent from the hydrometer jar. It's naturally carbing in the keg, so I have to wait a week or so to taste the finished version.

When I was putting together my Oatmeal Milk Stout, my LHBS guy recommended Irish Ale Yeast (WLP004). I bottled yesterday after 3 weeks in the primary and I was very pleased with the flavor profile. I'm looking forward to seeing how much it improves 2 weeks in the bottle.

will keep this on the list. i brew 3 gallons every 3 months or so, so will give it a try. thanks

JZ recommends S-04 if you want to use dry yeast, and ferment at 68ºF, for both styles. For liquid, he uses WLP006 for sweet, and WLP002 for oatmeal stouts. (Yes, I just picked up my copy of Brewing Classic Styles... and it's already dog-eared and sticky-noted!)

Have any of you tried using a Scottish Ale yeast in a stout (like WLP028 Edinburgh Ale)? Seems it's a pretty versatile strain...

JZ recommends S-04 if you want to use dry yeast, and ferment at 68ºF, for both styles. For liquid, he uses WLP006 for sweet, and WLP002 for oatmeal stouts. (Yes, I just picked up my copy of Brewing Classic Styles... and it's already dog-eared and sticky-noted!)

first stout I made used wlp007 which is, I believe, a higher attenuative strain of 002. Taste was very good closer to a dry stout which got me hooked and is why I've been experimenting with the different yeasts. Right now the Windsor is doing well but due to weather is fermenting in the basement cooler than I expected around 62. for the autumn, for my winter house brew, I plan on a large batch using the 002 unless i find one of the other yeasts to be more to the taste I like. only problem is i drank all of the 007 so no samples to compare to.

I had to get clear plastic laminate to use as book covers for both Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Brews. the paper covers started to curl the corners I've read them so much. I only got them within the past 2 months!

Back