Been drinking so I'm going to think out loud...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
...so feel free to comment and jump on in on the thought trains...careful, the conductor's drunk.

So, I've formulated my American Barleywine (maybe I'll call it Passow's Barely Wine) that I'm going to brew in about a little over a week. I upgraded it from 5.5 (my usual) to a 6.5 gallon batch and it's only going to cost be $8.62 more. So I'm looking at a total cost of $63.72 (I have a lot of the hops already so that's helping to cut down on costs and if I can get some yeast from the one of the breweries I frequent that'll cut the cost down by over $7 more). Looking at 31.23 pounds of grain, 7 ounces of hops, OG of 1.122, with an abv of 13.45%.

I'm going to have to see if my mash tun can handle 31 pounds of grain. Should be a fun experiment. Going to do a partigyle with this so I'm thinking my second beer is going to be an English Brown Ale. Have to formulate that recipe.

This is going to force me to buy a new primary fermentor because no way is this beer going to be done in time for the next beer I brew (I brew once every other week). Leeners (LHBS) has a 15 gallon demijohn for $55 and they owe me $20 in rebates (which they haven't emailed me yet........going to really get on them soon about that, more so than I have been). It'll be fine for 5.5 gallon batches on up and comes in a neat holder case for ease of carrying.

That means I'll have 15 gallon capacity for fermenting...mwahahahahaha!!! Oh...did I just evil laugh out loud, oops.

Hmm...15 gallons of beer. Well, water weighs somewhere around 8.3 pounds per gallons at room temp, so 15 gallons would weigh 124.5. Unfermented wort is water with a lot of other stuff in it so it's probably a lot heavier................. yesh, going to need help lifting that sucker into the basement... :tank:

Buy a long hose and siphon that sucker into the basement :D

My god, would that work? HAHAHA! That just might work! Hmm...fro the garadge to the basement's probably at least 300 feet?

Nah, probably my best bet is to siphon half of it out into the fementor while outside, transfer the fermentor and the kettle into the basement and transfer the rest on the spot.

Hmm...15 gallons of beer. Well, water weighs somewhere around 8.3 pounds per gallons at room temp, so 15 gallons would weigh 124.5. Unfermented wort is water with a lot of other stuff in it so it's probably a lot heavier................. yesh, going to need help lifting that sucker into the basement... :tank:

Leave the fermenter in the basement and transport the wort with pails. I nearly get a hernia lifting my 20 gallon kettle with 10 gallons of wort up onto a Workmate. That sh!ts gotta stop.

Leave the fermenter in the basement and transport the wort with pails. I nearly get a hernia lifting my 20 gallon kettle with 10 gallons of wort up onto a Workmate. That sh!ts gotta stop.
Pfft!

pails?

It starts in the corner here
IMG_3581.JPG

and empties here:
IMG_3583.JPG

Everyone should have one.

Latest posts

Back