Do you support your LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you patronize your LHBS?

• Yes

• No

• Can't: there isn't one, but if there was I would probably buy from it

• Can't and wouldn't

Results are only viewable after voting.

skibb

Reaction score
Do you shop at your local homebrew shop over shopping for your supplies online? Why or why not?

For the most part we all know that buying brewing supplies online can be a bit cheaper then buying them at your LHBS, especially now that many of the major established sites have flat rate shipping. So, what keeps you from saving a few extra bucks and going the online route, or do you do it sometimes when it's more convenient for you to do so?

I'm curious because where I live (Lexington, KY), there are no homebrew shops within an hour + drive. The greater Lexington area has a population exceeding a million people, so I figure a homebrew shop might do quite well here. There is a local brew club that has quite a few members (I believe its somewhere around 80 off and on) and i personally know at least 10 people who are not in the club but who dabble or do a lot of homebrewing. I've been tossing around the idea of starting one up, though I'm just curious what you all do in your areas when it comes to shopping for your homebrew supplies.

Also, if anyone has started up a shop that posts here, some bits of info about roughly how much start up money it cost (just for the stock to get started) and your experiences starting one up, would greatly be appreciated!

I have several LHBS in the metro detroit area, including one in walkign distance from my loft, plus a liquor store about 2 miles away that has an aisle of supplies, that is good for a last minute run for bottle caps at midnight, and a wine on premises place that has some brewing supplies and liquid yeasts. Then there is a "suprestore" homebrew shop (cap n cork) about 40 minutes from my, that is actually convenient to stop at coming home from work. And there's several other LHBS in the greater detroit area that I have maybe visited but never bought from.

So I never have needed to mailorder anything.

I really throw most of my money to either Cap n Cork or the Lhbs in Walking distnce (I've become good friends with the owner of that one. It's really tiny, but I try to support him as much as I can.)

It's really all about inventory, customer service and knowledge/experience that makes a store for me...the two I frequent are places where you find yourself hanging out for an hour talking and maybe even sampling beer.

There's a couple people on here who have opened brick and mortar homebrew shops in the last 2-3 years who post regularly.

I've probably spent over $500 at my LHBS this year. I've never ordered ingredients online, only equipment. You just can't beat the convenience of hopping over to the store to buy some last-minute specialty grains or yeast, or a replacement hydrometer. I like to be more spontaneous with my brewing, though, so the few bucks saved online isn't worth having to plan things out so far in advance.

I do, but usually for 'emergency' items or liquid yeast during bouts of extreme weather since I do most of my buying in bulk or using HBT vendors.

The owner hosts our homebrew club and gives a generous 10% discount on everything - so I like to support him when I can. His shop is an hour away from where I live, so I don't get there too often except on club meeting nights or special events.

I've learned what they are good at, and what they are not.

yeah me too its a great place with really good prices on most stuff
but there hops are just crazy high , i just got 61$ worth of hops from puterbaugh farms the same hops from my lhbs would cost 383.20 i compared it before pulling the trigger of 7Lbs of hops

I've done the calculations and it's usually cheaper to get my supplies from my LHBS than online. However, that is on a per recipe basis. If I were to buy ingredients in bulk (e.g. pale malt, hops, etc) it would most likely be cheaper online. Unfortunately, I am not to the point of buying ingredients in bulk yet.

Also, I like to support the local, Mom and Pop type businesses in my town in general. My LHBS has always been helpful and courteous to me when I shop there, which is rare these days. It also makes sense to support them so they stay in business so when I need an "emergency" supply or ingredient, they are there for me.

However, I will definitely be getting my hops from Hopsdirect.com; $3.50/oz at my LHBS is just ridiculous.

I also live in Lexington KY. And I support the closest thing we have to a LHBS. We have a chain of liquor stores that have a large selection of home brew supplies at two of their three locations in town. They stock just about any grain (including 55lb bags of base grains), most hop varieties in whole and pellet form, all the common dry yeasts, and most Wyeast yeast strains. They are wonderful to work with and will special order anything I want that they do not normally stock. I try to buy locally because I want them to stay in business both for the convenience they provide, and for the jobs they provide in my community.

I haven't brewed yet at home, but at school I used to go to a place all the time until they stopped offering home brew stuff. I guess they didn't have the right permits... Woops. Recently I have been getting stuff online, but once I get back to Michigan, I'll probably by local again.

i have never bought on-line, i i have 2 stores that i patronize 1 is .15 min away the other is 30 min.away both are well stocked but i do prefer the one 30 min away because of the way they have all their grains setup , they are all in big plastic containers with wide lids. i will hand one of the employees my list of grains he will weigh out all the grains weather it be 15 lb or 1\4 lb into 1 pail if i choose and then grind it all up for me. or he will package grains separate

From Louisville KY and yes I support my LHBS. The guy that owns it is great, has a very good selection of hops and yeast and his prices are good too.

I prefer to buy local and will usually pay the extra money to do so, but his prices are the same as everyone online, so why pay for shipping when it's a 5 minute drive from my house?

I'm sure if you got in touch with him he would give you some idea of what it took to get his operation up and running.

I never would have got started without my LHBS. ( I'm not sure if that is good or bad.) They have a beginners class monthly in the back of the store.

It only took me a few weeks on HomeBrewTalk to unlearn everything I learned in their class.

It is great to be able to buy local. I go there every week.

I do most of my shopping in general online; except grocery. It's just huge savings to buy most things online. This is an expensive hobby: the more beer I can get out of the same amount of cash, the better.

I try to buy as much as I can from my LHBS, even if it's more expensive. I like having a local shop where I can pick up a last minute vial of yeast or a couple of ounces of hops. But they'd go out of business if people just used them for small convenience purchases and bought the bulk of their stuff online. It's worth it to me to pay a little extra if it helps them keep their doors open.

I buy almost all my grains at the LHBS (although lately the local brewery has given me some great deals on sacks of grain). They don't carry liquid yeast, and their equipment selection is tailored to the beginner brewer so I have had to shop online more and more. If my LBHS carried everything that the big online stores did, then I would go there exclusively.

I buy almost all my supplies from my LHBS, as a small business owner I know how hard it is to make a living when the internet guys can kill you in volume sales. so I always try to support my fellow man in my neighborhood, I make them aware if prices are too high though.

My local shop is well stocked for my skill level and the pricing per batch comes out a wash compared to online. I can ask questions and get answers right away.
Plus, rather than buy more hops than I need for the batch d'jour, they will take my hops bill, portion it and number the bags for each addition. This is probably the most expensive way to purchase, but very helpful for a new guy.
I did buy a little bit of equipment from morebeer and have considered ordering one of their special kits, but that would be an exception for me right now. We'll see how things go down the road.

I work for a small family owned Restaurant Supply company and I hear how we are too expensive all the time. Compared to what? A guy who has a bank of phones and a couple lackies ordering stuff from the factory and never having to touch it? It costs money to keep the lights on. So I like to give it back in my 'hood.

I try to support my local LHBS, but they never seem to be open when I need them. Prices are a touch high, and selection a little limited, and looks somewhat old.

I try to support whenever I can, but lots of friends and family get me gift certificates to online shops for most occasions now, and just here or there if they appreciate the beer gift. It's driven most of my sales online, but I'm always trying to figure out a way to stay local....

My LHBS just isn't _that_ appealing, despite it being very close (~5 minutes). Closes at 5:30, isn't open on Sunday, and opens at 11am. Meaning I can't drop by before lunch (usually slammed after lunch), or before starting brewing on a Saturday (forget about it if you forgot something on a Sunday brew), and otherwise I have to head home a bit early to be sure to make it there on time; sometimes they close 30 minutes early, or the dude running it goes out for lunch so it's closed when I swing by.

Just more hassle than plopping down with a homebrew late one evening, beer in hand, clickety-click-click and it's on my door in three days, cheaper than my local shop and nice and fresh.

Yes. My local shop is great and it's just down the street from me. They have tons of stuff as well.

My LHBS is Midwest. If I drive a little further, I can go to Northern Brewer as my 2nd LHBS.

What does everyone consider "local"? For me that would be 45 minutes driving each way to a sub-par shop that mainly deals with wine making. No bulk grains, only 2 kinds of yeast, hops not even refrigerated. On the positive side, she always has the "hardware" that I need like buckets, spigots, BetterBottles and the like.

My other option is to drive 45 minutes, take a $20 ferry ride across Lake Champlain, and drive for another 30 minutes into Burlington.

I'll keep patronizing Brewmaster's Warehouse!

I buy most of my yeast, specialty grains, adjuncts and small quantities of hops from my LHBS, which is a convenient 15 minute drive. I buy most of my equipment and hardware online... usually Northern Brewer.... and twice a year I drive 2 hours to Champlain NY & buy 300-400 lbs of grain and lb packages of hops from North Country Malt.

I also grow my own hops and harvest / reuse my yeast

Out of all my HB dollars, about 10% - so far - have gone to my LHBS, so I voted "No." I think, once I complete my move to all grain, they'll get a lot more of my business, since their grain costs + tax, is about the same as online cost + shipping. All I will be buying is grain, yeast and caps - probably... hops will be bulk from hops direct, and major items will come from either online or local restaurant supply.

My LHBS is Keystone in Montgomeryville, PA. Their prices are a little high, but not enough to stop me from going there. What keep me away is the 1-1/2 to 2 hour round trip on a busy road with way too many traffic lights. I do make the occasional drive for yeast in the summer, or for something I have to have for a brewday, and I always like browsing around and talking to the great staff. But for convenience, price and unbeatable service I mostly use Brewmaster’s Warehouse.

I feel guilty, but I voted no.

YES!! My LHBS is run by the Dry Dock Brewing Co., which won the Small Brewing Company / Small Brewing Company Brewer of the Year at the GABF. Plus, the shop shares the brewery's recipes. Who wouldn't support these guys?

I voted can't and wouldn't. I move a lot, and I have gotten very used to ordering all of my supplies. I support the business that best meets my needs and the one that I want to stay in business. In my case, that is an online supplier.

I buy my grain and some equipment/supplies at the LHBS. I get my hops online, and either culture my own yeast or use dried yeast that I bought a bunch of online when I found a deal.

The closest shop? Not anymore, I used to support them, but they broke rule #1 of the Brewer's Code recently, and I will never again set foot inside their shop.

Luckily, Rebel Brewer is a mere 15 minute drive from me, and their pricing beats anything I have ever priced online for beer ingredients.

What does everyone consider "local"? For me that would be 45 minutes driving each way to a sub-par shop that mainly deals with wine making. No bulk grains, only 2 kinds of yeast, hops not even refrigerated. On the positive side, she always has the "hardware" that I need like buckets, spigots, BetterBottles and the like.

My other option is to drive 45 minutes, take a $20 ferry ride across Lake Champlain, and drive for another 30 minutes into Burlington.

I'll keep patronizing Brewmaster's Warehouse!

KB: Are you familiar with North Country Malt? Their bulk prices are great if you pick up there... $27 for a 55 lb. bag of PA Malt and they also have hops & chemicals at great prices. Last time I was there (June), they said they were expanding the online store. Caveat... only open on weekdays and call ahead.

I don't like planning so far in advance, but I have to since my LHBS is 1 1/4 hours away from home. I usually send my girlfriend, since she works 15 minutes away, but then I don't always get the correct ingredients.

I think starting a homebrew supply shop would be easier than starting a brewpub, which a lot of people seem to have an interest in as well. I am surprised there isn't one in a city of one million, though I don't know what the culture is like there. I mean, you do still have dry counties and that BS don't you?

I don't have a LHBS, but I'm in Corvallis I'll shop at Joel's. His prices are okay. But it costs me about $12 in fuel to drive there, so I don't make the trip just for supplies.

I'm lucky in that Denver has a great selection of homebrew stores. I buy some items from them, mostly specialty grain and the occasional yeast that I don't have yet. I'm finding better sources for bulk base malt (thanks to Wayne1), but I do go back for the specialty grains.

The closest shop to my office is only OK at best, and I got some specialty grains there a while back that sprouted bugs after being stored for a week, so I'm taking my local business to The Brew Hut now. Doesn't hurt that the brewery associated with TBH (Dry Dock Brewing) just won the 2009 Small Brewery of the Year award at the GABF.

I don't buy equipment from the brew stores, because I like to make it myself, so I only look to them for ingredients, and I usually buy base malt and hops in bulk for the price advantages.

The poll choices don't quite fit my situation, so I just voted "no." We have a large "beverage mart" type store that carries homebrew supplies in a corner. It is NOT an acceptable substitute for an LHBS, as the employees on duty neither know nor care about any of the beer / winemaking supplies. You want to ask them what their turnover in stock is? Be prepared for the equivalent of "whatever." So- I order online, mostly from Midwest Supplies. Would I patronize an LHBS if we had one? Don't know. First, we'd have to have one, second, I'd have to check it out.

2/3 of total money spend on homebrewing goes to my LHBS. Its a small shop with mostly what I need and sometimes its more expensive but its got a good owner and there's a good group of guys who frequent it often and can be a fun place to hang out and kill an hour sometimes. Especially if PTN is there telling stories. Hey have you heard the one with the willows and the panda walking? :rolleyes::p

The other 1/3 of the money I spend on brewing goes to online stores. Mostly to buy things I can find at my LHBS like Star San and certain grains. Usually I make the most of those purchases and buy a few other things that are cheaper than my LHBS.

I absolutely support my LHBS. I'm lucky because it's a good store and it's also close by. I've heard too many stories about crappy HBS with owners who don't know much about beer and charge way over the going rate on product. My LHBS has a great selection, a very friendly & knowledgable owner, and it's also a good place to meet other local brewers. About the only thing I don't get there are some hop varieities that his wholesalers don't supply. Here's the website for anybody in the Southern New England area: http://blackstonevalleybrewing.com/

I like the idea of supporting my LHBS, but...

One, about 5 mins from my house, is so bad I totally refuse to go there. The owner is just plain weird.

The second I have been driving 20-30 mins to get to. I have tried to buy grain and yeast there, as well as most things like ale pails. He does a 50 lb pre-pay plan on the grain which works out pretty comparable to on-line costs. However, last time I was there he: sold me a recalled pack of notty, which did not take off (and it seems got infected with lacto before the re-pitched S05 took off); overcharged me for the grain; and, worst of all, did not respond to my email asking about the yeast and the overcharge. So, I am going to find out what he says next time I go, and take it from there.

Latest posts

Back