Red Rye IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PghMakesMeDrunk

Reaction score
Hey guys, first recipe post here. I want to make a Red Rye IPA. Let me know what you think and if there are any changes or mods you'd make to it if it were your beer. Most of it is trying to use up some leftover stuff I have lying around. Seems like it would be good, but I'd like some other opinions..Any other info you might want, let me know..Thanks. :rockin:

5.75 gal batch size

10# Pale 2 row
2# Carared
1.5# Rye Malt
1# Flaked Rye
.5# C120
.5# C10
4 oz. Carapils
1.5 oz. Chocolate Rye

Mash @ 152 for 60 mins

.5 oz. Cascade - 60
.5 oz. Chinook - 60
1 oz. Amarillo - 22
.5 oz. Cascade -22
.5 oz. Chinook - 22
1 oz. Cascade - 8
1 oz. Chinook - 8
1 oz. Amarillo - 0
.5 oz. Cascade - 0
.5 oz. Chinook - 0

.5 tsp White Labs Yeast Nutrient
2 pkgs us 05

Looks tasty, planning on a red rye myself for next weekend, recipe is very similar. Why the 22/8 additions instead of 20/10, i'm guessing there's a utilization reason behind it, skool me....

Looks tasty, planning on a red rye myself for next weekend, recipe is very similar. Why the 22/8 additions instead of 20/10, i'm guessing there's a utilization reason behind it, skool me....

I honestly dont have a good answer for you, myself man. Probably not much of a difference really give or take a few minutes. Just the schedule I started using after looking at this chart and have had good success with..
46323.jpg

I should add I'm gonna add the 1oz. of Amarillo, .5 oz. of Cascade and .5 oz. Chinook as 0 min additions after the wort has cooled a bit 160-180. And an oz. of each as dry hops for 1 week after primary.

My buddy was asking me to look for a red rye ipa recipe. Yours looks like a good starting place. cheers.

Isn't carared just a variety of crystal malt patented by Weyerman? So that plus the other crystal and your carapils puts you at almost 3.5 lbs of crystal malt in a 5.75 gal batch. Seems like way too much, should be an extreme amount of body and sweetness in the final product.

I agree you don't need that much caramel malt, if you want to mix those three I'd say scale back about six oz c120 and c10. 2# is way too much carared, use a pound at most, plus you're going to want more rye if you want that rye flavor. I recently made a 5.5 batch with 3# and it still could have used more.

Don't fear cystal malt in a hoppy beer. I've used 19% or so in a PA and it's fantastic. Think sweetness and color, but more hops, more gravity means more sweetness can be used if you'd like.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna play around with this recipe a little more. This has been put on the back burner for a little bit now. I have 2 other beers Im going to brew first. I have a Chocolate Strawberry Milk Stout and a Late Hop IPA I already have the ingredients for. I might not get to this one for a while.

Chocolate strawberry milk stout? Sounds interesting. You should post that recipe! I'd love to see it.

Back