Pitching a light beer on dark beer cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhumm1

Reaction score
Intuitively seems like it shouldn't be done, but I have a chocolate stout that I need to bottle, but want to make an APA or IPA. I typically harvest/clean my yeast, but feeling lazy and just want to pitch on the cake.

Will the chocolate stout yeast impart undesirable flavors on a lighter beer?

Using Wyeast 1056

I put a cream ale on a IIPA cake of us-05. My ferment was quick and turned out great.

While admittedly I've never done it, I'd have to guess the few ounces of left over beer mixed in with the new light wort would lend more color differences than flavor differences.... I plan on doing pretty much the same thing when my brewing order creates that situation, and I don't plan on worrying about it. My .02

I have pitched a pale ale onto a yeast cake from a porter. I had no problems whatsoever. I just made sure to get all but about 2 ounces out of the fermenter. At that point the yeast cake looked like any other,

You won't have any problem. But consider washing the yeast, then you get rid of the trub and have enough yeast for multiple batches.

I had one time that I used a portion of a Cake(about 1 quart) from a Porter and pitched it into a Pale Ale. It didn't have an effect on the Flavor that I recall, but I do believe it effected the color a little. I've never been able to duplicate the color I got on that particular beer, it always comes out lighter now. There could be other reasons for it but who knows. Anyhow, my suggestion would be to take the time to wash that yeast and your fermenter, then make a Starter and pitch a proper amount of Yeast.

its probably not that important in an APA/IPA since yeast flavors are insignificant, but I wouldnt pitch it on the whole cake, you'd be significantly over-pitching. a cup or so should be plenty, but use mrmalty to check the appropriate amount of slurry

okay, so going to take the time to wash the yeast and dial in the pitch rate. probably best i guess, i was just looking for a shortcut. thanks for the responses.

Back