Sediment in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sansam

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch of beer last week. Now, about six days later, there is a sediment in the bottom of the bottles.

Have a made a mistake somewhere along the way? Is the sediment going to go away over the next couple of weeks? Is my beer ruined?

The sediment is from the yeast. It's natural and just lets you know all is working.

EDIT: Also, it could be trub in the bottle. If you siphoned a lot of the "sediment" from primary into the bottling bucket just before bottling, that might settle to the bottom of the bottle as well. But if you carbonate with sugar, it's going to happen anyway.

I just bottled my first batch of beer last week. Now, about six days later, there is a sediment in the bottom of the bottles.

Have a made a mistake somewhere along the way? Is the sediment going to go away over the next couple of weeks? Is my beer ruined?

Sediment in the bottom of the bottles is perfectly normal. It's caused by the yeast still left in the beer dropping out of suspension and to the bottom of the bottle.

With some practice you will be able to pour your beer into a glass and leave only the sediment behind.

Don't worry, your fine. Wait a total of three weeks for them to condition at 70F then taste one. :mug:

Sediment is a result of naturally carbonated beer. Your carbonation comes from a mini fermentation inside the bottle, the CO2 not being able to escape like it does in your airlock, and being absorbed into your beer. The spent yeast then sink to the bottom like it did in the fermenter. If this didn't happen you'd have flat beer. This will be the case in every batch of beer you make. To properly pour a home brew, leave it n the fridge for a couple days and that sediment will compact itself. then gently pour the bottle into a glass leaving the last 1/4" or so. Some beers you'll want to swirl the yeast up and pour it in (wheats, wits,) most you will want to leave it behind.

Its completely normal. Try this video, it explains the "pour to the shoulder" method to make sure you dont get the yeast in your glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
...The dead yeast then sink to the bottom like it did in the fermenter...

The only thing I would add to this is the yeast aren't typically dead, they are just in hibernation. You can actually cultivate yeast from the bottom of a bottle condition beer.

Back