Cider finishing gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericj551

Reaction score
I started a cider about two weeks ago. It started at 1.063 and now sits around 1.012. Fermentation went like crazy, but now appears to be done. I tasted it and I'm really happy with the flavor so far, but I'm worried about it continuing to attenuate if I rack and bottle from here. In my limited experience, my cider has always fermented down close to or below 1.000. I pitched a couple packets of US-05 and added yeast nutrient as well.

Should I repitch, maybe a champagne yeast, or take another reading in a week and see if it's moved at all?

You can always just pasteurize your bottles to kill the yeast and stop and further fermentation. I'm actually going to be bottling a cider this weekend that is still actively fermented and its around 1.030 and I'll be pastuerizing once the carbonation is where I'd like it. There is a sticky under Cider Forum about how to do stove top pasteurization. Here's the link: Easy Stove Top Pasteurizing with Pics

I would expect that it would continue to ferment, especially if it's only two weeks old and at 1.012. I'd let it sit until the SG was definitely NOT moving and the cider was clear. Two weeks is too young to call this finished.

Thanks guys. I probably am not going to pasteurize, I think I'd rather have the cider dry out. I am hydrating another packet of US-05, gonna throw that in and see if I can jump start it. I'll let it sit another 2 weeks. Also, as far as pectic enzyme goes, I've heard conflicting things. Can I still add it post fermentation (or during)? This cider was UV pasteurized, so I'm not even certain I need it, but I won't mind being sure.

Thanks guys. I probably am not going to pasteurize, I think I'd rather have the cider dry out. I am hydrating another packet of US-05, gonna throw that in and see if I can jump start it. I'll let it sit another 2 weeks. Also, as far as pectic enzyme goes, I've heard conflicting things. Can I still add it post fermentation (or during)? This cider was UV pasteurized, so I'm not even certain I need it, but I won't mind being sure.

Pectic enzyme can be added post fermentation if you want to use it to help clear the cider.

Back