Doh! Put in the hops before the malt. What can I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theloudon

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post here, this looks like the right place for this. I'm brewing The Number 8 from Northern Brewer, it's a Belgian strong dark ale. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/number-8-extract-kit.html

During the brewing process, I accidentally put the "german tradition" hops in before I put the malt in and brought it back up to a boil; so the hops were in there during the time that the wort was coming back to a boil.

I'm wondering how this is going to affect the final product of my beer (if at all), and if there's anything I can do to compensate for this goof up?

Thanks for your help guys, I've been lurking here for a while, you're all super cool :).

Nate

Was it the 60 minute hop addition? It might be a bit more bitter, or you could do a 50 inute boil, might keep the bitterness down, there is enough malt in that, it shouldn't matter either way.

Oh, if you do a 50min boil, keep the other hop additions at their respective times, 30 and 5. If it's all finished, there is nothing you can do, other than learn from your mistakes.

Haha...you just invented a new method...FWH w/ extract or first wort hops w/ extract. Some do this w/ all grain adding the hops to the runnings pre boil...rest easy your beer will be fine, perhaps a little different hop profile...but fine all the same...cheers.

Haha awesome! Thanks for the encouragement gents, it sounds like it'll turn out fine :). The reason I was kinda wigged about the mistake is that I am brewing it to give as wedding favors at my wedding. Normally I wouldn't worry about it at all, but I just wanted to be sure I didn't totally botch the thing haha.

Anyway, cheers guys, thanks for the input!:mug:

Haha awesome! Thanks for the encouragement gents, it sounds like it'll turn out fine :). The reason I was kinda wigged about the mistake is that I am brewing it to give as wedding favors at my wedding. Normally I wouldn't worry about it at all, but I just wanted to be sure I didn't totally botch the thing haha.

Anyway, cheers guys, thanks for the input!:mug:

When is the wedding, you could always brew another one, as a back-up. If both come out great...2X the beer.

Back