Changing of the seasons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwc9711

Reaction score
Does anybody have any opinions on what makes a great beer for spring? I've been looking (unsuccessfuly) to find a recipe that would work for those months that are no longer winter, but denfinitely not summer. The rest of the seasons have specific beers, so why doesn't spring? Or does it and I just havent found it yet? As it goes in brewing, a good beer has to be prepared in advance if you plan on drinking it when it was meant to be drunk, otherwise you'll end up with an oktoberfest in January. I've brewed my last few a little too late, so I want to be ahead of the game on this one.

Look at an ofest vs winter type beer. Not as heavy nit as malty not as spiced.

But moving that way.

Though I don't know of any spring beers as far as style I like to make something that will emulate summer but in the same way ofests are to winter beers .

So I make something lighter in taste and body but not too light introducing more hop profiles but again not too much. Sort if like a precuser to summer beers get the gist

I usually make a gruit of some sorts for in the spring as it can taste like blossoming flowers

ahh, a good Maibock, lagering over the winter, opened in spring, would be perfect!

Maibock for May is traditional as is Marzen (Octoberfest) for March. Generally speaking I would say spring beers should be malty and medium to full bodied. No lawnmower beer yet and starting to get away from the roasted grains that are so popular in winter drinking.

Stout. The answer is always stout.

Seriously, I know it's a bit late for this, but I find Belgian beers quite nice comes April or May. They do take a while to condition...

It's not too hot outside, so you don't have a raging headache in 95F weather the next day if you over indulge, but the beers are usually refreshing while interesting to the palate and nose. Plus, they can be brewed (more) easily than any other styles during Summer due to their (relatively) high tolerance to high fermentation temperatures.

Back