Ale Yeast Selection for Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I know lager yeast is historically what is used, but I have none. I have prepared two 1 gallon starters, and one of them is going to get a baltic porter and the other a kolschish thing...which of these two yeast strains do you think is best for baltic porter, if you are going to use an ale yeast.

Rogue Pacman
White Labs WLP-029 german ale/kolsch

I am leaning towards the pacman, since their deadguy is such a great lagerish ale.

Use Nottingham.

Notty is a beast of a yeast........that is for sure. I will add that to my list of possibilities since I do have a few dry packs laying around in the freezer.

I find that nottingham and pacman are very similar.....

I used Notty for mine recently. It turned out great. It put US-05 to shame IMO. The bottled comes off very clean when you drink it. Not to mention notty is fast and it cakes well.

That being said I just bought some Pacman recently that I plan to use on nearly every type of beer I can. Likely I'll try to do duplicate batches for experimentation of Pacman vs suggested strains. That being of course when a special yeast isn't suggested.

If you like notty, you will really like pacman. It seems like it almost impossible to screw up a pacman fermentation....that yeast just chews up maltose like crazy. I am thinking that pacman will get the call on my baltic porter....but I am also torn, because WLP029 will give it that nice german flavor....too many choices.

I have made 3 Baltic porters. 2 with Nottingham yeast and one with London Ale yeast. The Nottingham ones have been a great deal better.

Wait. I'm confused. Notty is $1.50. How much is Pacman?

Anyways, basically what I did was something super close to EdWort's Robust Porter, made some tweaks based on availability and lagered the mofo for 8 weeks.

Aren't Baltic Porters generally made with lager yeast? I guess the old English ones were probably ales, but they're generally lagers now, yes? Provided I've not lost my mind on this point, I'd go for the Kölsch yeast. That will probably give you the taste you're accustomed to in a BP. A lot of people report it being very lager-like at cold temps. I've only used it once myself, and didn't keep it too cold, so I can't comment personally, but I've heard it said more than a few times.

Aren't Baltic Porters generally made with lager yeast? I guess the old English ones were probably ales, but they're generally lagers now, yes? Provided I've not lost my mind on this point, I'd go for the Kölsch yeast. That will probably give you the taste you're accustomed to in a BP. A lot of people report it being very lager-like at cold temps. I've only used it once myself, and didn't keep it too cold, so I can't comment personally, but I've heard it said more than a few times.

You are correct about the kolsch yeast, the same could also be said for the pacman yeast, both of these yeasts can produce lager like ales.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale (Maibock) is a great example of what pacman can do

WLP029, just gives this authentic german lager flavor to beers...it may or may not be nice in the porter. I still haven't made my mind up, but I am leaning towards pacman.

Back