Will my Belgian Quad kill WLP-500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
Yesterday, I pitched about 2 cups of WLP-500 slurry from a previous batch into a Quadrupel of 1.107 OG.

It is currently fermenting at high krausen at 65F.

I am hoping for 80% attenuation, so a 1.022 FG or so.

This calculates to about 11.5% ABV

The problem: White labs list alcohol tolerance for this yeast to "High". I wanted more details so I went to Wyeast website, and they state the 1214 has a tolerance of 9%.

Both WLP-500 and Wyeast 1214 are reportedly the same chimay strain.

If the WLP-500 stop working at 9%, it will make a 1.040 FG which is unacceptable.

What should I do?

1) Let it go and hope for it to survive above 9% [edit - typo]

2) Dilute the fermenting beer with water (I have enough headspace), in order for the final, fully fermented beer to be 9% and acceptable FG.

3) Make a starter of another alcohol tolerant abbey style yeast strain and pitched it ASAP.

Thanks for your suggestions..

Also, if anybody used WLP-500 above 9% successfully please tell me!

I'd go with #1, but with a tweak. 9% is usually a vague average... and it's a trappist ale strain. It's meant to handle high alcohol levels. Hell, I got >12% from dry notty... I think you'll be able to manage 11%. Let it do it's thing for a while and then rouse the yeast by gently swirling the carboy.

Good luck!

I agree. Go with #1. I think if you pitch enough you could definitely get to 9% and just finish it up with another yest. After all, what is homebrewing other than a series of delicious experiments?

I used WLP500 in a quad and went from 1.100 to 1.019, and then used a 8 moth old washed jar of the same yeast in a BSD that went from 1.092 to 1.0020. so i'd cast another vote fo #1

Thanks for the input.

I will let it go, but will let the temp rise up to 72F, and even warmer if it seems to be floc'ing out too early.

Regarding incremental feeding, it did not seem appropriate for this beer as it is all pils malt + some munich + 15% caramelized sugar added at the end of the boil.. The sugar provides a good part of the color and it would have been difficult to add it incrementally..

Will certainly let the temp rise up to help the yeast. I am not afraid of esters at all, just want to keep the fusel/hot alcools down.

BA: How did you ferment that 1.100 wort down to 1.019? What kind of temperature?

external temp stayed around 68-72 due to AC in the house depending on time of day. So i'm guessing it stayed between 72-74 degree range. I fermented it for 22 days. It was my frist belgain and i'd read that a lot of the characteristic estery contributions from the yeast were due to an uncontroled temperature rise during fermentation, so i didn't monitor it. *edit* --- i just remembered our AC went out the 22nd of june during my wife's b-day party, so the last week of this fermentation the temps in the house were up close to 80 if not low 80's.

Bottled it back in june, tasted it in late august, didn't start drinking it until october. Took a while for the hot alcohol flavor to subside, but now it's quite nice.

sorry i dont have more info, sadly this brew was before i started taking good notes... i don't even have the recipe written down, only the gravity readings and brew/bottling dates.

Back