RecipeTavern.com is now Open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmohel

Reaction score
For those of you who are aware, I have been working on a recipe tracking system for some time now, and it is now readily accessilbe. It is called Recipe Tavern.

The basic premise of the site is to allow users to save their recipes to share with others, as well as track their batches of brewed beer. One of the features that I have created is the ability to export a text file from ProMash and upload into the database in Recipe Tavern.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. If anyone has any suggestions, or would like to help out with the project please let me know.

http://www.recipetavern.com

edit: Figured I should preface this - Don't take any of the below personally or as my way of saying "it must be this way". I'm a usability & design monger, I can't help it ^^;
Misc critiques / suggestions:
- Base text color is a little too light. Given the size of the text, this makes it rather difficult for me to read. I'd suggest darkening a fair amount.

- I noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to simply browse through the recipes. A link off to a seperate page that allowed one to browse through different styles would be great. Suggest placing the link between 'Home' and 'Search'; browse page shows categorical breakdown of recipes in database, etc.

- Would be neat to be able to view other recipes a user has submitted by clicking on their user name. Perhaps a promonent link from their profile to such a list. Also, down towards the bottom of your recipe, it has your username as a link, but it takes me to the forum index as oppose to your profile.

- Idea: Something that I've been looking for in a recipe site is a way to tell how "nailed down" a particular recipe is. Running around, say, the recipator, I don't really have any way of telling if the creater has even ever brewed the recipe, or if it was any good, unless they left some comments regard it.

Submit your recipes for other's to view

There should not be an apostrophe in "others."

The site is still in it's public infancy so I am not yet sure how it will grow.

There should not be an apostrophe in "its."

:eek: :eek: What can I say . . . I'm an English teacher . . . :D

Darth Konvel said:
edit: Figured I should preface this - Don't take any of the below personally or as my way of saying "it must be this way". I'm a usability & design monger, I can't help it ^^;

none taken

Darth Konvel said:
Misc critiques / suggestions:
- Base text color is a little too light. Given the size of the text, this makes it rather difficult for me to read. I'd suggest darkening a fair amount.

fair point, i will think about changing

Darth Konvel said:
- I noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to simply browse through the recipes. A link off to a seperate page that allowed one to browse through different styles would be great. Suggest placing the link between 'Home' and 'Search'; browse page shows categorical breakdown of recipes in database, etc.

something I can easily add. Will do.

Darth Konvel said:
- Would be neat to be able to view other recipes a user has submitted by clicking on their user name. Perhaps a promonent link from their profile to such a list. Also, down towards the bottom of your recipe, it has your username as a link, but it takes me to the forum index as oppose to your profile.

I already have been planning on adding this to the member profile page, and to the search page.

Darth Konvel said:
- Idea: Something that I've been looking for in a recipe site is a way to tell how "nailed down" a particular recipe is. Running around, say, the recipator, I don't really have any way of telling if the creater has even ever brewed the recipe, or if it was any good, unless they left some comments regard it.

My thoughts exactly. Now you will be able to see how many times the submitter has brewed it, and/or how many times other users have.

Other additions will be printer friendly recipe formats, calculate ABV for batches of beer brewed and SRM,IBU for recipes not submitted via ProMash text file.

Let me know if you still are unable to get into the site. I have removed the email verification for now.

Shmohel said:
Let me know if you still are unable to get into the site. I have removed the email verification for now.

Thanks... now I'm a member... and not "waiting to be validated"....

Jester

After getting a lot of feedback regarding the dark grey and orange color scheme, I have decided to make a update to the look of RecipeTavern. The project has progressed nicely, and I have added many new features, with more still to come. The RSS feed is up and running, and the files are now exportable to BeerXML. The search features have been upgraded. Over the next week or two, many of the outstanding features (listed here: http://www.recipetavern.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8) will be completed. Let me know what you think of the new look.

awesome, I love the new look! Much more inline with brewing than the all-too-techy gray. You must have just uploaded this as I was just looking at it last night.

Shmo, are you doing the skinning yourself? I assume so. looks good.

Chunk said:
Why?

From a professional site standpoint spelling is important

for regular forum posters it is not a big deal

Agreed. I hope I have corrected all my mistakes... My grammar is not what you would call top-notch. I probably have better German grammar than English!

ian said:
awesome, I love the new look! Much more inline with brewing than the all-too-techy gray. You must have just uploaded this as I was just looking at it last night.

Shmo, are you doing the skinning yourself? I assume so. looks good.

Thanks. I was working on it last night, but in a dev site. I just uploaded the skin this morning.

The actual base skin (the darkgrey and orange thing) was one I downloaded as an IPB skin. I then made a bunch of slight modifications and tweaks until I decided I needed the new color scheme. I had a guy over at http://www.green-beast.com to put together that banner graphic for me. I think he did a good job with it, and then I went through and modified the CSS to the new color scheme. Then I took the skin and applied it to the rest of my site and made modifications/additions to the CSS as necessary.

If you are interested, open up the CSS file, all the stuff at the very bottom is mine.

Shmohel said:
I had a guy over at http://www.green-beast.com to put together that banner graphic for me. I think he did a good job with it, and then I went through and modified the CSS to the new color scheme. Then I took the skin and applied it to the rest of my site and made modifications/additions to the CSS as necessary.

If you are interested, open up the CSS file, all the stuff at the very bottom is mine.

You mean Mike Cherim?? I know him from webdeveloper.com. He does awesome stuff! I love it when he posts a new site in the reviews area. They're always great. I had a pretty good bit of dialog with him a while back when I was working on a site, he's a great resource!

Chunk said:
hey, i was checking out your Choc Rasp Porter and noticed there was no raspberry to be found in the recipe.

site looks great

I know, I need to add the directiosn for the beer. I used a can of raspberry extract.

ian said:
You mean Mike Cherim?? I know him from webdeveloper.com. He does awesome stuff! I love it when he posts a new site in the reviews area. They're always great. I had a pretty good bit of dialog with him a while back when I was working on a site, he's a great resource!

That's how I cam across him. There is a thread in the Website reviews section for this site. http://webdevelopers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101028 He took a look at my site, and we got into emailing back and forth last night, and then he put it together for me. He's a real great guy to work with.

Back