Adjusting my water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike4420

Reaction score
Looking to brew a IPA this weekend and want to imitate Burton on Trent as close as possible. I think I have gotten close enough but looking for opinions.

My Current Profile
Calcium: 29.8 ppm
Sulfate: 37.0 ppm
Magnesium: 7.6 ppm
Chloride: 10.0 ppm
Sodium: 7.2 ppm
Bicarbonate: 71.0 ppm
PH: 7.4

Desired profile Burton on trent
Calcium: 295.0 ppm
Sulfate: 725.0 ppm
Magnesium: 45.0 ppm
Chloride: 25.0 ppm
Sodium: 55.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 300.0 ppm
PH: 8.0

Closest I can get
Calcium: 292.7 ppm
Sulfate: 707.0 ppm
Magnesium: 46.2 ppm
Chloride: 10.0 ppm
Sodium: 57.5 ppm
Bicarbonate: 272.0 ppm
PH: 7.0

Gypsum: 40.0 gm
Baking Soda: 8.0 gm
Chalk: 5.0 gm
Epsom Salt: 17.0 gm

This is my first time adjusting my water profile. Is this close enough to the Burton?

I can't find how much the Burton Water Salts would change my water profile so I'm assuming you would use distilled with this?

If the Burton is 8ph why would you want to use the 5.2 stabilizer?

:mug:

Personally, I'd just use your water and add gypsum to get the sulfates into the Burton range -- it's the sulfates that give the Burton Ales that crisp hop bitterness. The other minerals are less improtant for what you're trying to achieve, and your water seems to be OK on all of them.

mike4420 said:
If the Burton is 8ph why would you want to use the 5.2 stabilizer?

From Palmer's How to Brew:

How to Brew said:
Water pH
You would think that the pH of the water is important but actually it is not. It is the pH of the mash that is important, and that number is dependent on all of the ions we have been discussing. In fact, the ion concentrations are not relevant by themselves and it is not until the water is combined with a specific grain bill that the overall pH is determined, and it is that pH which affects the activity of the mash enzymes and the propensity for the extraction of astringent tannins from the grain husks.
So you'd use the 5.2 if you think that the combo of your grain bill and your water profile was goinig to be too acidic or too alkaline.

You would not want do use pH buffers in your water. My estimatation is that 2 tsp gypsum in 10 gallons of your water followed by 120 min over 70 C will make your water perfect for IPA. Use nothing but the finest palt malt, good english hops and a bit of flaked corn.

Aspera said:
You would not want do use pH buffers in your water. My estimatation is that 2 tsp gypsum in 10 gallons of your water followed by 120 min over 70 C will make your water perfect for IPA. Use nothing but the finest palt malt, good english hops and a bit of flaked corn.

Interesting idea with the flaked corn, thank you.

N.B. Do not add any additional Mg source to your water. It will unfavorably affect the flavor of your hops, will not help th mash, and will make an ugly bitter flavor that may be historically accurate but is best left to bye gone days.

Back