Bacon Vodka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.browniepointsblog.com/2008/01/20/homemade-bacon-vodka/

Bacon Vodka

makes up one pint
Fry up three strips of bacon.
Add cooked bacon to a clean pint sized mason jar. Trim the ends of the bacon if they are too tall to fit in the jar. Or you could go hog wild and just pile in a bunch of fried up bacon scraps. Optional: add crushed black peppercorns.
Fill the jar up with vodka. Cap and place in a dark cupboard for at least three weeks. That’s right- I didn’t refrigerate it.
At the end of the three week resting period, place the bacon vodka in the freezer to solidify the fats. Strain out the fats through a coffee filter to yield a clear filtered pale yellow bacon vodka.
Decant into decorative bottles and enjoy.

I think that I might try to do this, but I would consider scaling up and maybe use cheap vodka and several passes of a carbon filter.

I wouldn't use a carbon filter, it will strip out too much of the bacon flavor. Normally with vodka that's a good thing. Maybe filter the vodka first?

I made up a batch of this two weeks ago - it's got one more week of conditioning to go. At the moment it looks pretty disgusting, with tiny globules of fat floating around in it, but once it's filtered I'm hoping it'll be presentable.

I'm filtering my bacon vodka as I write this - it's pretty slow going. The stuff above the filter looks disgusting; the filtered vodka is clear as a bell, and has a pale yellow tint. No idea how it'll taste, but I'll post when the filtering is done.

Danek said:
I'm filtering my bacon vodka as I write this - it's pretty slow going. The stuff above the filter looks disgusting; the filtered vodka is clear as a bell, and has a pale yellow tint. No idea how it'll taste, but I'll post when the filtering is done.

Awesome...I'll be waiting.

I have always wanted to make a meat meed, just because I like the name. I settled for a beet meed instead. Don't they call liquid meat "blood"?

It's filtered, and bottled, and I have a shot glass of it here...

Oh. Sweet baby Jesus. I'm finding it hard to describe how foul-tasting this is. I'm not sure if this is exactly the right description. But it's as if someone very ill had pissed into a bottle of salt.

I can't feel my legs.

Danek said:
It's filtered, and bottled, and I have a shot glass of it here...

Oh. Sweet baby Jesus. I'm finding it hard to describe how foul-tasting this is. I'm not sure if this is exactly the right description. But it's as if someone very ill had pissed into a bottle of salt.

I can't feel my legs.
Did you really need to try this to figure out what the result would be? Maybe my highschool principal was right...maybe too much drinking really does kill brain cells.:drunk:

it will go good with this

2102482970065410114S600x600Q85.jpg

BigKahuna said:
Did you really need to try this to figure out what the result would be? Maybe my highschool principal was right...maybe too much drinking really does kill brain cells.:drunk:
But the internet said it would be nice! I can't believe the internet would lie about something this important! ;)

I'm going to try it in a bloody mary. If that's no good, then finding an alcoholic dog will be the only way to go.

olllllo said:
What kind of Vodka did you use Danek?

I'll have to give this the ol' college try as I have some meat related projects going on.
I used Smirnoff. And the bacon was local organic happy-pig bacon. The two ingredients on their own are pretty good, but I guess it's not a very happy marriage.

I'll bring it on my brother's stag do this weekend and see what other people make of it. Because if drunken pre-wedding bachelor antics don't go well with bacon vodka, then I don't know what will.

Have you tried putting the vodka in the freezer before doing a shot?

I like vodka, but I prefer it chilled ....

zoebisch01 said:
:D

I was just planning some blood sausage. Haven't made that in a while :D
If you want help with that let me know! I'm a fan and would like to try my hand at that style sometime. Do you make one where the blood is the bulk of the sausage, or one with maybe some pork, rice (or other filler) and blood. The Portuguese make a nice version of the later.

pjj2ba said:
If you want help with that let me know! I'm a fan and would like to try my hand at that style sometime. Do you make one where the blood is the bulk of the sausage, or one with maybe some pork, rice (or other filler) and blood. The Portuguese make a nice version of the later.

The last time I did the blood mainly, but I have been thinking of making a firm type one the next time. Morcilla, yeah with the rice...mebbe.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Anyone make puke vodka? I have a feeling it would taste very similar to bacon vodka.
Funny you mention it. I very nearly made puke vodka mere moments after trying the bacon vodka. The way I see it, the two are on a very short continuum.

I was going to suggest one eat some bacon, drink half a bottle of vodka then puking into a glass.

The resulting concoction should be the same as making bacon vodka, but in much less time.

Yes this the above is an Evil Concoction, but Denny has never made it.

Back