Simple cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honkey

Reaction score
I just added Red Star Champagne yeast to 5 gallons of apple juice. I am expecting this to end up around 6% ABV. I am sure others of you have done this before. How did it turn out?

gonna turn out pretty dry. if you need to back sweeten it, go for it

Yeah, my plan in case it is too dry is to back sweeten with a gallon more of apple juice, but I thought that all wine yeasts would take apple juice to the same final gravity... I assumed they would all ferment 100% of the sugar.

Yeah, my plan in case it is too dry is to back sweeten with a gallon more of apple juice, but I thought that all wine yeasts would take apple juice to the same final gravity... I assumed they would all ferment 100% of the sugar.

they will so you will need to stabilize the cider before you back sweeten, also don't back sweeten with apple juice as it will water down the ABV. Use frozen apple juice concentrate. it will add lots of flavor with out as much extra liquid.

I'm gonna try to backsweeten my next batch with non-fermentable sugar. What should I use?

I'm gonna try to backsweeten my next batch with non-fermentable sugar. What should I use?

I have backsweetened a couple of batches with Truvia and have been satisfied with the taste. I don't use a lot...just enough to knock the dryness down some. I think I used 3 teaspoons per gallon on my last batch and it came out decent.

ETA: I also keep a tray of apple juice ice cubes in the freezer for those who think it isn't sweet enough. Add an ice cube to their glass and it sweetens up as the cube slowly melts.

I have backsweetened a couple of batches with Truvia and have been satisfied with the taste. I don't use a lot...just enough to knock the dryness down some. I think I used 3 teaspoons per gallon on my last batch and it came out decent.

ETA: I also keep a tray of apple juice ice cubes in the freezer for those who think it isn't sweet enough. Add an ice cube to their glass and it sweetens up as the cube slowly melts.

I'm gonna have to remember that ice cube trick,its a good idea.

I didn't mind when I did something similar. Though I found mine ended up kinda flat tasting. If you can't stand the boredom, throw 'er in secondary with some cinnamon sticks and nutmeg!

Latest posts

Back