Cider from Apple Hill in northern California?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWino

Reaction score
Does anybody here have any experience making sweet/semi-sweet cider from this area?

Any recommendations of where to source good juice (both taste and price)?

Any recipes or methods to share?

I just made my first batch from fresh juice sourced from Boa Vista, it was more expensive than I was expecting but seemed to have a good sweetness with a little bite. It isn't turning out as I expected (not spoiled or anything just not what I planned for :)) but I am learning a lot for my next batch, would love to share experiences and information with other locals.

Cheers

HW

I was just up there Sunday and pulled down about 4 gallons. I didnt use it fresh, I temperature pasteurized it by bringing it to a quick boil and allowing it to cool. I used US-04 as the yeast instead of champagne yeast. I dont want it to chew through everything and make me an apple wine. So far it smells...unique, but I'm not worried because generally hard cider doesnt smell very good during the fermentation process.

Is this your first batch from fresh juice? Who did you buy from? Did they give you the blend? Did you get a discount for "bulk"?

Cheers

HW

Yea, this is my first batch, pretty much ever. I bought from Boa Vista. No discount. I did get a free half gallon though for spending $80+.

Not sure if it would interest you but your question reminded me I had listened to a podcast last week from The Brewing Network from May '06 and they interviewed a guy from Two Rivers cider company and he said he sources the juice for his apples from there. I don't recall the name of the orchard but if you want to listen to it, it's here. Cider: Two Rivers Cider Co. comes in to talk about making cider

Are you talking about Barsotti Ranch? I havent been there but I look forward some day to visiting all the ranches up there. Hell I live close enough, 45 mins.

Back