Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting my first home smoked Texas brisket tonight!

We've been here about 4 weeks now, and became friends with the neighbors. He's got a brisket on the smoker right now, and we're dining at about 6:30. I'm going to make dessert, and plan on pigging out on his brisket.

You guys are such a bad influence on me and my "healthy lifestyle"! Because of you, I drink about four times as much beer as anybody I know, I am eating smoked meat, and fried foods, and not working out as much as I should.

Did I ever tell you how much I love you guys!!!!! :rockin:

Ok, smoker has been ignited as of 0500 MST. 8 lb. brisket is going on within the next hour. Unfortunately I'm out of pecan wood.

brisket.jpg

I LOVE smoking meat! A buddy of mine and myself built a smoker last fall that has its own trailer....its a beast! It was a project that he wanted to start and I had the tools. Never had a plan we just built and did what we wanted.

The maiden voyage was for a Halloween party that his cousin was having. We started it up the night before and ran it for 24 straight hours. We had 40 lbs of Boston butt and 5 racks of ribs. We also put on a vegetable tray that was on for about 3 hrs (which was awesome) we also smoked some cabbage, which is great.

Smoker.jpg

Smoker6.jpg

Smoker7.jpg

Got some baby backs going. This is at 2 hours, just sprayed them with an apple cider/apple cider vinegar/brown sugar mixture and flipped them for the first time. Don't know what I'm doing. Ends in the middle toward the fire box were getting too done so I added a piece of foil an hour ago.

BabyBacksat2hours.jpg

Got some baby backs going. This is at 2 hours, just sprayed them with an apple cider/apple cider vinegar/brown sugar mixture and flipped them for the first time. Don't know what I'm doing. Ends in the middle toward the fire box were getting too done so I added a piece of foil an hour ago.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Its my daughter's 7th bday party this Saturday. So of course the adults will want something besides hamburgers and hotdogs. So, gonna do a pork shoulder, a few St. Louis style spares, and of course ABTs. I may even throw in some habenero ABTs to mix it up some

We made some last weekend. Yes they're hotter than jalepeno ABTs, but the smoke knocks the heat down quite a bit. Im only going to do 4 or 5 habeneros to go with 20 or so jalepeno ones.

ill post some pics of them when I get home

have you guys done Moink Balls yet? I'm trying to get my "offering" for the "Smoke 'em If Youz Gott'em" event that is part of Philly Beer week. Yards Brewing company does an amateur bbq contest. While I took the "People's Choice" last year, I'd rather come home with some cash. Last years entry was pulled pork (4 butts), cornbread, and salt potatoes. No one knew what salt potatoes were, but they sure did love them. Not sure if I got people choice because of the 'que or because of the potatoes though. :(

In any event, I used Stone Smoked porter in my mop sauce for the butts. I was looking for something different for this year. They don't pick up any of the cost. And not only is it a contest, but I am also helping feed all the participants coming for the smoked beers as well. You'd think you'd at least get your meat paid for. In any event, it'll be either pulled pork again, or perhaps brisket. Not 100% certain yet. But I figured throwing in either Moink Balls (a little more crowd friendly) or a crap ton of ABT's would help. Not sure I feel like de-seeding 100+ ABT's though! Or perhaps if the pig candy comes out ok, I could always do that. We'll see.

I tried the MOINKs once and didn't think they were that great. They weren't bad, but not amazing either. Probably won't do them again.

Fair enough! I'd do a fattie, but that would be way too many ingredients, and most likely would need way too many of them to make it through all the people there.

You do know we will need pictures of this right?

got ya covered. Probe is going in pretty easy right now but not quite like butter yet. I figure another 45 minutes then wrap and rest for a few hours,

The boudin was freaking amazing. A buddy went to Mardi Gras and brought me back 20lbs of it from Baton Rouge. Its from a little mom and pop butcher shop and made right there in house. So damn good

Ok went ahead and snapped a few pics. Its almost done. This is @ 12.5 hours, I used Kingsford Original and Pecan for smoke. I rubbed with SImply Marvelous Cherry and injected with half Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Juice.

It smells so good, I hope I can wait till the guests get here

Davs BBQ 017.jpg

Davs BBQ 019.jpg

got ya covered. Probe is going in pretty easy right now but not quite like butter yet. I figure another 45 minutes then wrap and rest for a few hours,

The boudin was freaking amazing. A buddy went to Mardi Gras and brought me back 20lbs of it from Baton Rouge. Its from a little mom and pop butcher shop and made right there in house. So damn good

I have actually never had boudin before. I do want to try it though.

Those pictures look damn good.

Ok went ahead and snapped a few pics. Its almost done. This is @ 12.5 hours, I used Kingsford Original and Pecan for smoke. I rubbed with SImply Marvelous Cherry and injected with half Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Juice.

It smells so good, I hope I can wait till the guests get here

And that amazing bark is strictly from the mustard addition? I'm a noon. Two smokes under my belt. Got a pork loin in the fridge hoping it thaws by tonight to run and then smoke tomorrow for my 3rd smoke ever. 2nd was just two fatties.

And that amazing bark is strictly from the mustard addition? I'm a noon. Two smokes under my belt. Got a pork loin in the fridge hoping it thaws by tonight to run and then smoke tomorrow for my 3rd smoke ever. 2nd was just two fatties.

Nope, no mustard used. I cut the skin off, patted it dry and added the rub. Simply Marvelous does a great job of staying on the meat and forming a glaze before it even goes on the smoker. I cant say enough good things about the rub itself.

http://www.simplymarvelousbbq.com/simply-marvelous-cherry-rub-16-oz

Used my new Weber smoky mountain cooker this afternoon. First time smoking anything. I did 2 beer can chickens, one was about 6.5 lbs and the other about 7.25 lbs. Both covered in rub I made using recipe in smoke and spice. Both came out great. Wife and I both really enoyed it. I wa suprised at how well it kept temperatures between 200-250, without alot fuss. Learned a few lessons.

1) Need some gloves (already ordered a pair from TEXASBBQRUB.com)

2) The chickens are really hard to keep up straight only using a beer can and the birds legs. Anyone ever try one of those Weber chicken mount things?

I can see this becoming another addictive habit. Need to pick out a recipe for next weekend.

Back