2 Great (but very different) Berliner Weisses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
The berliner weisse doesn't get enough credit. Made correctly, it's a wonderfully crisp, tart, and refreshing beer. It's low alcohol content (2-4% abv) allows you to down these without leaving you three sheets to the wind.

Since they're pretty uncommon here in the States, it was unusual that I drank two different berliner weisses yesterday. The Frtiz Briem 1809 and Dogfish Head Festina Peche.

1. Frtiz Briem 1809 - This German version was made by the guys at Weihenstephaner. It has a higher abv (5%) than most BWes but you couldn't notice a bit of it. Tart, lemony, and fizzy, it is extremely delicous and drinkable.

2. Festina Peche - This isn't a classic BW but rather DFH's spin on one (as they do so well to existing styles). The obvious difference between Peche and the 1809 is that peaches are added. What I love about it is that the peaches are so fresh tasting and not at all artificial. Like the 1809 it is tart and crisp. One of my favorite brews from DFH.

It was cool to have Old World vs. New World examples on this style. I'd love to see more American breweries follow DFH's lead and make their own interpretations.

Are there any other American Berliner Weisses I need to try? Do you like this style as much as I do?

Back