Extending the face of a fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
I have seen many posts of people adding height to their keezers, but i don't have a keezer, i have a fridge. A Magic Chef (mcbr465s) to be exact. This little guy holds *almost* two 5 gal kegs :mad: !!

I am wanting to use this fridge to hold three 5 gal kegs under my bar. I am wondering if anybody has extended the front of their fridges to accommodate more keggage? How'd you do it?

~M~

I just read my post and thought I should say more here. I am thinking about making my fridge "deeper" to hold more kegs. So, maybe removing the door and mounts, putting 1/2 inch plywood around the exterior of the fridge that extends off the front about 6 inches, and then finding a way to insulate the extension so it's energy efficient and will allow the door to reattach to the face of the fridge.....

I don't see why that wouldn't work. It's the same principle as extending a keezer. You'll need to make the bottom very strong so that it supports the weight of the keg(s)

I took my magic chef mini fridge and added some space.

I first took the seal off the door and removed the plastic door insert. Then I dug out all of the insulation inside the door. Then I used GreatStuff and some cardboard to insulate the outside of the door.

I recommend using a sheet of Styrofoam instead of that GreatStuff insulation I used.

For more details check out my blog. I later added a cold plate and I run 4 kegs.

Some guy has a description on here where he took a mini fridge - and put it in underneath of a table/bench - and then extended out to fill the whole underside of the table. It was a really neat setup & looked pretty simple.

Here's another one mattchu09 did: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-fermentation-chamber-kegerator-build-102383/

Basic concept was the same - the hinges on the mini fridge doors swung out wide enough to allow you to just build a new corner & double the fridge area. Not sure if your Magic Chef has that same type of hinge.

I've seen somebody add a collar to their minifridge, can't find it though, it didn't look all that flattering IMHO

I did that for a fermentation chamber, but later converted it into a kegerator. Held 2 5 gallons cornies and a 10# CO2 tank just fine. Basically, it's just a wooden collar that comes out of the front of the fridge. I just made sure the cuts were exact, and it fits like a glove.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mini-fridge-fermentation-chiller-project-62517/

DSCF0052.JPG

I've decided that I'm replacing my refrigerator kegerator with a chest freezer. Call me spoiled, but I really hate trying to reach in to disconnect the rear kegs and move them around in case I want to bottle or something.

I'll be turning my current kegerator into a fermentation cabinet.

Would THIS sort of thing be what you want?

Well, yes and no. I really like how the finished product looks there, and considered the design for my bar, but I am hoping to be able to utilize the space under the bar better. (use unused depth for the fridge and use more of the side-space to hold glasses, booze, and wine).

~M~

Did you end up siliconing or taping your extension to the fridge?

Nope, my cuts came out just right so it was a very tight fit. I actually had to fit it on the fridge using a rubber mallet. I figured the contact was adequate, although a bead of normal window/siding caulking wouldn't hurt.

Got the wood today. I'll try to post pics of the process if I can remember to bring the camera out to the shop...

~M~

Back