Set and forget method (beginner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
I have a a beer that is ready to be put into my keg, but the party that I brewed it for is not for another month. I would like to go with the "set and forget method" but just want to make sure my process is right since I don't want to mess up this beer.

1) Clean, sanitize keg.
2) Fill keg with beer and then pressurize with 10 psi and burp out oxygen.
3) Keep psi at 10 to 12 and keep beer in fridge for 2 weeks, hooked up to CO2.
4) Unhook from CO2 and deliver keg to party, hook back up to CO2 and enjoy.

I have a a beer that is ready to be put into my keg, but the party that I brewed it for is not for another month. I would like to go with the "set and forget method" but just want to make sure my process is right since I don't want to mess up this beer.

1) Clean, sanitize keg.
2) Fill keg with beer and then pressurize with 10 psi and burp out oxygen.
3) Keep psi at 10 to 12 and keep beer in fridge for 2 weeks, hooked up to CO2.
4) Unhook from CO2 and deliver keg to party, hook back up to CO2 and enjoy.

Only thing missing is beer temperature factoring into the pressure setting. Refer to this carbonation table, find your beer temperature, decide on the carbonation level (eg: 2.5 volumes is good for many common beer styles) and the table will tell you the CO2 pressure to use to achieve that end.

eg: If you hold the keg at 40°F, then 12 psi will get you to 2.5 volumes...

Cheers!

With the carbonation chart and a thermometer, you can dial up whatever carbonation level you desire. You could aim for, say 2.1 volumes, give it a couple of weeks to hit that, pull a couple of pints to try it out, and if you like it you're golden, if it's a bit flat for you just consult the table for the next pressure setting to try, say for 2.3 volumes...

Cheers!

Great thanks. It's an IPA and I don't like em too carbonated so would 2.1 to 2.2 be good?

Hello, I also dont like my beers to carbed, I have 4 kegs in my kegerator, and all are different beers, so I had to go with a happy medium, I have the kegerator temp at 36 deg, I have my regulator set at 8 psi, after 10 days the beers are carbed up and ready to drink, maybe just a tad light on the amount of carbonation, but definitely not over done.

I have found that after 10 days, the longer the kegs are on the gas (like 20 days), they will carb up a bit more than I like, I would try a sample after 10 days on the gas, if its where you want it then pull it off the gas, but keep it cold till your going to use, and about 5 or 6 days before the party try another sample just to make sure its the same as you left it, if its not just put it back on the gas.

Cheers:tank:

Latest posts

Back