Why is AHS double the price for grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
So I've used Austin Homebrew Supplyfor the majority of my purchases since I've started brewing. I've Always been satisfied with prices and customer service but now I'm perplexed.

They are selling 50 lb. sacks of 2 row for 66 bucks when Midwest sells them for 34 bucks. This just seems ridiculous to me but maybe I'm just ignorant and it's some super grain.

AHS has a flat rate shipping, Midwest does not (at least they dont when you order 50 lb bags)

Unless you in an area that doesn't have a local homebrew store I would never want to pay the shipping costs for a 50lb sack. Where I live we have 2 very average LHBS yet they stock all kinds of 50lb sacks of grain. I would check around in your area and price out how much it would cost to drive there and back plus the cost of grain.

If you look closely at the bulk grain prices you will notice the pricing is for 40 lb. partial sacks, not such a good deal at all.

AHS has a flat rate shipping, Midwest does not (at least they dont when you order 50 lb bags)

That's it exactly. The actual cost of shipping 50lbs is quite a bit more than the $6.99 AHS is charging. Therefore, the cost of shipping is built into the price of the items. I'm sure if you figure in Midwest's shipping cost it probably comes out similar.

I just plugged it in and a 50lb sack of 2-row shipped to me from Midwest is $83.15 ($50.49 for the grain, $32.36 for shipping)

That 50lb sack of 2-row shipped to me from AHS is $72.48 ($65.49 for the grain, $6.99 for the "flat rate" shipping).

So, shipped, it's actually $11 cheaper from AHS.

I personally wish mail order companies wouldn't tout "flat rate shipping" and just focus more on delivered price.

I just plugged it in and a 50lb sack of 2-row shipped to me from Midwest is $83.15 ($50.49 for the grain, $32.36 for shipping)

That 50lb sack of 2-row shipped to me from AHS is $72.48 ($65.49 for the grain, $6.99 for the "flat rate" shipping).

So, shipped, it's actually $11 cheaper from AHS.

I personally wish mail order companies wouldn't tout "flat rate shipping" and just focus more on delivered price.

Looks like 50 pound sack does that. Just a price with "free" shipping.

Back