Shipping Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowsmith8

Reaction score
I have two questions. First, I want to send some freinds beer for the holidays, but I've never shipped beer. What do people recomment as the best way so the bottles stay safe and don't break?

Second, I'm flying to the in-laws for the holidays and want to bring some of my beer with me for my in-laws. Is it possible to bring beer with me on the flight? Or is it better to use shipping methods and check the beer? Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

crowsmith8 said:
I have two questions. First, I want to send some freinds beer for the holidays, but I've never shipped beer. What do people recomment as the best way so the bottles stay safe and don't break?

Second, I'm flying to the in-laws for the holidays and want to bring some of my beer with me for my in-laws. Is it possible to bring beer with me on the flight? Or is it better to use shipping methods and check the beer? Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

You can't ship USPS. It is illegal, so you'll have to ship with someone like UPS or DHL.

In regards to packing, just try to pack as well as possible. Some use the normal beer case boxes, some people wrap in bubble tape inside a plastic bag (in case of breakage) and then packed well outside of that.

I recently sent some well wrapped in packing paper and they made it just fine.

You also can't carry on beer anymore. There's a limit to the amount of liquid you can have on a flight, so well packed in your checked bag works, or you can ship it.

crowsmith8 said:
Second, I'm flying to the in-laws for the holidays and want to bring some of my beer with me for my in-laws. Is it possible to bring beer with me on the flight?
I brought some brew home on a flight several times. I wrap each bottle up individually in a sock, used a hard suitcase, and packed clothes around the bottles.

You have to check the bag in so you want to make sure that the bottles can't move. Plus your brew has to be insulated from mishandling.

My friends made fun of me when I pulled the sock off each bottle. But, hey it worked it like a charm.

Mike

Go online to Fedex.com. Sign up for an account. You save 10% on ground rates and you can print your own labels put them on the package and drop the package off at a fedex place no questions asked about what is in it. Best way to ship hands down are those styro packers. If you don't have them though just make sure you pack it up real good with lots of bubble wrap around each bottle and make it so that they don't move inside the box. Shouldn't have a problem at all!

Socks are definately the way to go. I was once paranod and would wrap the bottles in a garbage bag to contain breakage. I have never broken one: beer, wine, or spirits.

What other souvenir would you want?

Back