fermenting gone bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigger103

Reaction score
I fermented 2 batches of soda....One batch of rootbeer turned out good....a seccond batch of birch beer and it turned out spoiled or sour.....any ideas....I used ale yeast on both kegs. I sanitized both kegs and left them ferment 4 days in 70=75 degree environment (finished off basement) I refrigerated the beer on friday and today tested it to my dismay.....

I fermented 2 batches of soda....One batch of rootbeer turned out good....a seccond batch of birch beer and it turned out spoiled or sour.....any ideas....I used ale yeast on both kegs. I sanitized both kegs and left them ferment 4 days in 70=75 degree environment (finished off basement) I refrigerated the beer on friday and today tested it to my dismay.....

only thing i could think of is other it wasnt properly sanitized or you used poor ingredients, however im no expert on yeast or on birch beer

after reading some other posts I believe it was poor cleaning of my keg........I used the sanitizing powder from brew shop next time Im going to try the caustic stuff....

Save the time and money and just get your self some Star San.

That's the stuff that was in the brew shop that the owner told me was caustic (the stuff I was referring to)

By the way my root beers that I made were a big hit especially the one I made from sassafras roots and forced carbonated (as a result of ruining my birch beer) it was a very basic syrup made from about 3 cups of sassafras root boiled down and a cup of honey and 8 cups of sugar.....

Back