boilover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixelhussar

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First time poster, easy on me please!:)

Reading the boilover part of the Palmer book. Am I supposed to watch boilovers at all grain brewing? Sorry about the lamish question, but the book writes about this at the extract brewing, and it isn't evident...

Thanks!

Yep, it goes for AG too. The first hops addition at the start of the boil is always the time to be at the top of your game. Really bad time to get sidetracked. :D

Fermcap or Five Star Defoamer work well too.

These drops work great. No more boilovers and they do not seem to have any effect on fermentation, krausen formation or head retention.

You can also use any drugstore anti-gas drops that contain Simethicone (eg. CVS Infant's gas relief drops). Just make sure they have no flavorings. About 3 drops is all I need to keep 7 gallons rolling in my kettle with no chance of a boilover.

OMO

bosco

I found that few coins does great job.
With that I always have spray bottle on the hand, just in case.

Thanks for all your answer. I tried to avoid boilover by turning the gas down as soon as the foam started to break up. This didn't work very well.

I was looking for this:

and only got this:

http://gyuriszlamka.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Cider/22426488_NzcBGR#!i=1888448782&k=sx6RPrQ

As soon as the wort started to boil, the hole started to get bigger on the foam. Next time I'll try spray the foam as you recommended.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back