Color problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passload

Reaction score
Ok today I made a Pilsner and a Helles style. The srm is way off. Ingredients in the Pilsner is 9.5 lb of pilsner malt and.25 lb of carahell boiled for 60 min. Helles 9 lb of pilsner and .5 lb 60 min boil. Both 60 min mash here is the color 17 srm! Same water. Any ideas?

image-1282199670.jpg

image-2430070586.jpg

image-3080748864.jpg

image-475183174.jpg

Im not sure whats going on in your case but i did dipa that was way darker than predicted (i dont remember numbers now but wort was similar in color to yours where it should be around 11 srm or so) but after fermentation it got to much lighter and i gues sits where its suppose to be. Interesting note, i was doing split fermentation with two different yeast strains and one yeast attenuated better than the other (1.012 vs 1.021) and lower attenuation correlates with darker color (that kind of make sense)

Thanks guys. Mon I'll call Northern Brewer and see if it's possible. It's their kits for the all grain Helles and Czech Pilsner.

What does it taste like? Wort from a pilsner mash will be quite sweet. Also with pils and a bit of CaraHell there should be no noticeable roastiness, toffee or deep caramel flavors.

Back