American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That can be a few things. Could be cloramines, when you ferment too hot it has some different off flavors from that. Did you use tap water? Have you had an issue in he past?

Write everything down when you brew from what water you use what you cleaned with whether you rinsed your sanitizer/type of sanitizer, how much yeast what temp, etc. how long of a lag,etc..everything,it helps find out any problems a little easier.And to see any patterns. I think you may be ok letting it conditon till you think its right.How far along has it been bottled?
Instead of thinking it fermented hot,you should know what temp it is and thats half the battle.
I ended up really liking my 2 toasted pale ale i had to sub and used toasted malt 05 yeast was a nice twist but a bit belgiany with a fuller mouthfeel and more toasted malt/maltiness.A different beer but it still fit in to the very good range.
I wish i had some centeniall i would brew this up in a heartbeat again,in fact its probably one of the only ones i will tweak for many batches, its a base for a great beer

Just bottled this last weekend. I altered this recipe to the following:

10 lbs Pale malt
2 lbs Vienna malt
12 oz. Crystal 20L malt
8.oz. Cara-Pils malt

3.5oz. Whole Centennial hops

2, 1oz pkg. American Ale II Wyeast 1272

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge.
Mash in 16.56 qts @ 159.1F > 148F 75mins
Batch sparge w/4 steps (Drain mash tun, 1.41gal, 1.41gal, 1.41gal) @168F (10 min each step)

.5oz Centennial 1st wort 60.min
.5oz Centennial 1st boil 60.min
.5oz Centennial boil 45.min
.5oz Centennial boil 30.min
.5oz Centennial boil 15.min
.5oz Centennial flame out 0.min

Measured OG 1.065

Here is where I had to tweek it a bit. Pitched 1oz Wyeast 1272 in primary. After 4 days no active airlock, decided to pitch a 2nd Wyeast 1272 based on Recommendation on Wyeast forums on OG of 1.065 or higher, calling for a double pitch. on 5th day slow steady activity was seen for 3 more days. Moved to secondary on 8th day. Dry hopped with .5oz Centennial.

459148_416893451670921_340902109270056_1669536_184572862_o.jpg

bottled on day 16 with measured FG 1.010

Gives me 7.3 abv

Color dead on with Bells 2ha aroma just incredible. Clarity is incredible already.

Will let you know in a few weeks how this turned out. It will also be entered into a local home brew contest.

K2

Picked up ingredients for this today, but my LHBS would only sell me 2 oz of Centennial due to the shortage. Instead I'm going to use Columbus for bittering and Centennial and Simcoe for Flavor/Aroma. I know it won't be a clone, but I like that hop combination.

Blending 70% Cascades and 30% Columbus is a time-honored method of subbing for Centennial hops.

ok, extract brewer looking to give this a whirl. here is what i put together with brew target (below). for mashing the vienna, do i just put the 2 lbs of grain in a bag and steep it for 60 minutes at 160? can i put the other steeping grains in the same bag? there will be 3 lbs of grain total, how much water should i use? also, american or german vienna? thanks for the help!

two hearted ale - American IPA (14B)
Brewer Nobody
Date 04/18/2012
Batch Size 4.740 gal Boil Size 5.240 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 70%
OG 1.074 FG 1.019
ABV 7.2% Bitterness 54.3 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 10.6 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 247
Fermentables

Total grain: 11.000 lb
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Liquid Extract (LME) - Pale Extract 8.000 lb No No 78% 8.0 srm
Vienna Malt Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 78% 4.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L Grain 8.000 oz No No 75% 20.0 srm
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 8.000 oz No No 72% 2.0 srm
Hops

Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Centennial 10.5% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 31.2
Centennial 10.5% 1.000 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 15.5
Centennial 10.5% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 6.2
Centennial 10.5% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 1.3
Yeast

Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Ok going to do this as my first AG this weekend. Heading to LHBS this afternoon to get everything. One question I have is which yeast? I've read back a few pages and seen 1056 1272 wl051 us-05. Anyone give me I hint?

Thanks for reply. I got 1056. I'll just have to try again with us-05 and compare.

I believe those are essentially the same yeast strain from different companies in different forms. Might still be interesting to experiment, though!

Huh I'm new to brewing only my 7th batch. Yeast is still new animal. Used two different yeast on 2 batches of same American pale that made made. Looking forward to see what the difference is in taste.

Huh I'm new to brewing only my 7th batch. Yeast is still new animal. Used two different yeast on 2 batches of same American pale that made made. Looking forward to see what the difference is in taste.

Depends highly on your ferment temps also.Not to mention,pitch rate.Possibly water/mineral content.

Alright I need some input. Brewed this today and my of was 1.046. Temp on my mash was spot on 149. 75 min check temp was 147.6. Grain was

11 lbs 2row
2 lbs vienna
12 oz crystal 20
8 oz cara-pils

Batch sparge with 1.34 gal 170 three times with 10 min rest for each

Boil was 60 min but still turned out with low number. Does the initial grain temp have a big influence on mash? If anyone can give some insight thanks!

I brewed the OP's recipe to a T this weekend, scaled to 11 gallons but came up a little short on gravity (1.060) - My final volume was approximately 11.5 gallons, and lost about a 1/2 to the hops so I am not to disappointed with my efficiency.

I've had a Bell's Oberon harvest stepping up over the last 2 weeks, started with about 8-10 bottle dregs worth and it was approximately 4L before I pitched it. I just pitched the yeast last night. What temperature does every ferment the Bells strain at? I have the temp controller set to 63 right now.

My LHBS was out of Centennial so I kind of mashed together a hop order.

1oz Amarillo 60 min
2 oz Cascade, 1 oz East Kent Golding combined and continuously add after 20min mark.
I plan on dry hopping with another oz of East Kent Goldings.

I know it won't be the beer that was intended but I went with it....Cheers

I brewed the OP's recipe to a T this weekend, scaled to 11 gallons but came up a little short on gravity (1.060) - My final volume was approximately 11.5 gallons, and lost about a 1/2 to the hops so I am not to disappointed with my efficiency.

I've had a Bell's Oberon harvest stepping up over the last 2 weeks, started with about 8-10 bottle dregs worth and it was approximately 4L before I pitched it. I just pitched the yeast last night. What temperature does every ferment the Bells strain at? I have the temp controller set to 63 right now.

Just an update...I started ferment at 63, and ramped up to 70 over 10 days (a couple degrees every couple days that I was around the ferm chamber. FG was 1.012. Kept both fermenters in primary for a total of 3 weeks, over the past week I dryhopped the first with 1.5 oz of Centennial.

Just kegged that one tonight after 3 days cold crash, WOW! Great flavor and aroma! It seemed a little hot but I imagine that will go away in the keg and with some carbonation.

Im not ready to say that it is a dead ringer clone, but it is going to be one of the better IPA's I've made for sure. Time shall tell! Plus I have the other fermenter, I will probably let that sit on the primary cake for another week or so, dont want to dry hop too early....

I've made several batches of this and it is very close to the real Two Hearted. I love how simple it is! I can't manage to keep a keg of this around very long, my friends always demolish it! :rockin: Brewed a batch of this last weekend as a matter of fact.

-Steve

May as well keep Eschatz thread rolling...I brewed up his recipe over Memorial Day weekend. Using my Zapapp MLT. Hit pretty good numbers, a little short on the volume - only 4.5 gallons - at 1062. Used Bells yeast I cultured up, stepped up to 6 quarts, decanted and warmed up, fermentation popping when I checked it 6 hrs after pitch. Looking forward to end of July-ish when I can crack into one.
Jhoss

Brewed an extract with grains version of this last week. OG was 1.068. Took a sample today and got 1.012. Dry hopped an ounce of centennial and will let it sit before I bottle and condition. Taste was still young but wasn't bad. Color was great. I'm excited for this.

I brewed this a 2nd time a couple of months ago and had the bright (which turned out stupid) idea of dividing the 60 minute addition into 30, 15, 10 and 5 minute additions. I think I upped the total amount of hops to account for the shorter boil times.

The beer has a ton of hop flavor initially as I drink it, but then theres a "vegetal" aftertaste, and it leaves a coating on my tongue if I drink more than a couple of pints.

I will brew it as originally posted from now on.

Brewed the original recipe tonight. Plugged up my auto siphon with hops so went to plan B - bucket and strainer. Its fermenting nicely with a fresh batch of Notty. I'll keg it in a couple of weeks!

I took a hydro sample/reading last night. Sitting at about 1.010 and tasted smooth, mellow. I actually hope (and think) the dry hops will pick it up a bit.

Took a second hydro sample and still at 1.012 making it right around 6%. The sample tasted great! The dry hopping really took it to the next level. I'll let it sit for another week then bottle.

I am using the Grain Bill from the 1st page. What SRM is everyone getting that used that grain bill? I am getting (from beersmith) ~5.3 - 5.6. In all the pics people are posting the color looks a bit darker. I have not brewed it yet (this sunday, perfect fathers day wkend - working at the st paul beer fest on sat). Beersmith states that ipa's should be SRM 6 and... I do not always follow the set guide lines...just wondering.

I will be using the grain bill but changing the hops (warrior, citra, amarillo, and cascade) and pushed up the IBU (my wife and i love the hops in ipa's :)

Cheers,

Edit: I am using Pale Ale Malt (3.5) besides 2 row and changed the amount of crystal and Pale Ale(added alittle more) and will let you know the out come. Should be about ~7.5 SRM. The smell is amazing in my freezer (ferment.).

I just bottled 5 gal and it looked to be about 6 srm. I used Munich instead of Vienna. It was nice and clear, but good lord it smelled like fruit candy! I dry hopped with 1oz centennial and I FWH'd my bittering addition. The chilled hydro sample was pretty dang good, but the aroma was ridiculous. Hops Direct has ruined me...

I got a growler of a highly regarded IPA for myself as an early Father's Day gift and I was almost in a hurry to finish it off to get back to my stuff. Proud parent I guess...

I just racked 4 plus gallons of my THA clone onto some more Centennial hops. I will probably bottle this weekend June 24 ish. Seeing as how the yeast I had to work for (cultured from Bells Pale Ale), I went ahead and washed with sterile water and siphoned up some suspended yeast for storage. Next up, Decocted Oberon Clone.
IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

I'm going to add this recipe to my brew list.
So many brew's I want to make , so little time .

Just got my grains and hops for this baby. Also chose the Wyeast 1272 over the Nottingham. I'm really looking forward to this one. Bell's Two Hearted is one of my favorite beers. Hope I nail this...

From those that have brewed this, here are my projected states...Do they make sense?

Per Brewers Friend Calculator Based on 70% eff:
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.017
IBU's: 53.07 (whole leaf hops @ 10.3 AA's)

I'm assuming the Wyeast 1272 will attenuate lower than 1.017? If not, then I'm looking at 6.3%...What do you guys think?

Went with a middle of the road route on the THA:
18 lbs 2-Row
4 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Caramel 20
1 lb Carapils

Same hops...1056 yeast.

Bottled this last night. Tasted great uncarbed. I will let it sit at about 68-70 degrees for two weeks then cool one in the fridge and give it a taste. Ill be back to let you know how it was.

Just got my grains and hops for this baby. Also chose the Wyeast 1272 over the Nottingham. I'm really looking forward to this one. Bell's Two Hearted is one of my favorite beers. Hope I nail this...

From those that have brewed this, here are my projected states...Do they make sense?

Per Brewers Friend Calculator Based on 70% eff:
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.017
IBU's: 53.07 (whole leaf hops @ 10.3 AA's)

I'm assuming the Wyeast 1272 will attenuate lower than 1.017? If not, then I'm looking at 6.3%...What do you guys think?

Boil is underway...Already smells great after the first hop addition. First time brewing this clone and I'm hoping that I nail it. Bell's is such a damn good beer.

Even if its not nailed, they almost always turn out pretty good. Cheers let me know how it turns out.

Back