Possible contamination-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarletteLD

Reaction score
Hello! Newbie w/ a concern about floating specks across the top the morning after my transfer...any thoughts?

IMG_0091[1].jpg

IMG_0092[1].jpg

Like it USUALLY is, when someone starts one of these threads.

Yeast rafts.

Everything's fine.

I don't know Revvy...those look awfully white and fuzzy. Kinda looks like mold. Though if these appeared right after the OP racked I can't imagine mold would show up that quickly. My impression of yeast rafts is that they are more tan/brown than white like this.

Yeast rafts tend to be whitish as well. He racked to me that really means yeast rafts getting kicked up, that's when we usually get these posts after someone racked it.

I could see mold if it was weeks, or months, but not so soon. Remember, mold grows IF the co2 layer is compromised, it's at the point where the wort touches air. Usually after racking co2 that is in solution is kicked up during racking, so I would say there still is co2 there.

Yeast rafts tend to be whitish as well. He racked to me that really means yeast rafts getting kicked up, that's when we usually get these posts after someone racked it.

I could see mold if it was weeks, or months, but not so soon. Remember, mold grows IF the co2 layer is compromised, it's at the point where the wort touches air. Usually after racking co2 that is in solution is kicked up during racking, so I would say there still is co2 there.

Makes sense. Good to know yeast rafts can be white.

I hate to say it, but I think this looks bad. I had several in a row go bad and it turned out to be my transfer hoses. Funny things start happening 1 - 3 days after transfer.

Don't toss it yet though, let it set a week or more. Sometimes it's still drinkable.

Either throw out your hoses and buy new ones, Or Bleach bomb the hoses and your siphon.

Soak in solution of 1 tsp/gallon of water. Then rinse and sanitize as usual.

Back